Feb 4, 2010

# 35 ~ John II

When you were driving your truck through Times Square on your birthday, you got a citation from NYPD for operating a over length vehicle. What's the maximum length for a tractor-trailer to go through there? ('Cause you'll do it again, huh? ;D) -John II

I believe the officer told me the acceptable length is a maximum of 60' for combined tractor/trailer.A standard 53' trailer is also restricted, even with a day cab attached. You are able to purchase permits for longer lengths, but The Aluminum Co had not followed the protocol. It was only one bundle I was delivering. With my trailer being 53', the addition of the sleeper cab put me over total length giving me not 1, but 2 citations., one for over length trailer, one for over length combination vehicle. Oh, yeah, and I got a $25 parking ticket as well bringing the total fees in a whopping $1525.00

The trip you are referring to was more of a blessing in disguise than you realise. Three days after I ventured through Manhattan, they closed a portion of Broadway to all through traffic and made it a pedestrian area only. Therefore, I will not ever be able to make THAT journey again. Also due to the excessive fines, the Aluminum Company has determined that there are much more affordable means of delivering 300 pounds of metal. SO, my excursion was the last opportunity.

Ask me anything

2 comments:

StrokerAce90 said...

Sounds Like ya made a historic journey Terry, Congratulations!

John II said...

"Three citations-$1,525.00"

"Driving a semi through Times Square on your birthday-PRICELESS!"

Oh well, at least you got to enjoy the ride and savor the moment. :)