Feb 4, 2010

# 36 ~ Amremann

Do you prefer manual over automatic transmissions and also do you float or double shift gears more often by circumstance?-amremann

I am a manual transmission fanatic!! I was given an automatic tractor to test out for a few weeks, and after the first day I was finished with it. To me , it feels like you have lost a certain amount of control over the truck. Driving in NYC as well as through ice and snow, I want to be in as much control as possible. Ironically, although I have been driving manual for 12 years, and my Mustang is a 5 speed manual, I would not be able to use the clutch on a regular basis without looking like a beginner. I have been floating gears since day one. Gotta love the synchronization of those transmissions!!

Ask me anything

2 comments:

StrokerAce90 said...

Kudos to You Terry, I was spoiled with 20 years of automatic shifting home delivery trucks & the last 8 years of that were the very same push button type that our favorite Trash Girl uses as well to bang thru her auto gears with. :-]

John II said...

I've driven mostly 6-speed (standard), 8-speed (Eaton Fuller 8LL Roadranger), and 9-speed (Eaton Fuller) on two axle and three axle trucks. My "pain in the ass" truck was a '76 dump truck with an auto tranny. I hated that truck with a passion but had no choice but to drive it for six years until the company purchased a '04 dump truck with a 8-speed tranny. Since then I enjoy either double clutching or floating gears.