Feb 8, 2010

The Blizzard of Ozzzzzz

While the rest of the East Coast was trembling in fear of the approaching storm, I, with my lack of good sense was eagerly anticipating the arrival of 3-4' of snow. I could not wait to see it.I left a day early to allow for any delays that would be forced upon me. I heard the word BLIZZARD so many times while watching the Weather Channel, that I was absolutely stoked!! I had other drivers confirming 39" and 43" inches ...

Thinking that with the weather reports I was hearing, I should be seeing evidence not too long into my journey. Crossing the Virginia State Line....nothing.


And much to my disappointment, this is about all I saw the whole way through. The snowbanks caused by the plows was just barely at 2', so where is all this snow?

Don't get me wrong, there was some treachery involved. The story was that DC had run out of salt, so this is what I had to endure for about 70 miles. Feels just like driving on a cobblestone street. What amazed me was that people were complaining because of the delays, and I am thinking to myself..." I don't think I want to go faster because this is too rough at even 10 mph ! "
But Interstate 95, above and below DC, was immaculate!!

Hauling Snow !!
These guys were hauling off the snow, to help keep the roads from refreezing over night.

Talk about a Rooster Tail !!

New Jersey gets a little upset if you de-ice on the Interstate. This was the only compliant driver I saw.


Of course, some of you had to have known I would pull this little stunt. I am a firm believer that in emergency situations, the left lane is fair game. The officer who past me, never gave me a second glance!! And for the record, I was on the left shoulder more than the left lane!!

So, while the definition of a blizzard is a snowstorm with wind gusts no less than 35mph, visibility decreased to .25 mile or less and lasting at least 3 hours, I just expected accumulation. Am I the only one who thinks that?? As for the inaccurate trucker reports, well, you cant believe everything a truck driver says.

And while I do realize that this was a lot of snow *smirk* and roads were jeopardized, I was immensely disappointed that it appeared to be just another snow storm in my book. Guess I should head out west and hide away in the mountains, if I wanna see real snow!!

4 comments:

John II said...

You wanna see snow? C'mon on over to the west, we got pently of slushy white powder you can drive on. Just tell your boss there's an untapped supply of fresh aluminum in the Rockies and nobody's been able to get to it until now..........or you might bring a dump trailer and we'll give you a large load of empty soda and beer cans that all of us guzzled from Sunday night's big Super Bowl XLIV party. (BUUURRPP!!!!)

Todays Walk said...

We have all kinds of snow for you here in Colorado. I got 7 inches of powder last night. I would attach some pictures of my snow for you, but I can't. :( I have piles from 4 to 20 ft high here and not talking snow drifts. I missed my snow out here, thus why I came home from NC. Love the left shoulder driving, isn't it nice when the weather makes a lot of road rules for you voided? Have fun and be safe.

The Wondering Brit said...

I'm still getting over the post title - I went to see Ozzy on the Blizzard of Oz tour - my goodness, how long ago was that - 1980?

Bonnie said...

Terry: Don't come out here looking for snow! We've had hardly ANY snow this year! And one of the TV stations over in Seattle, is saying that we could really experience some LOW water levels on the reserviours (sp) that provide water to the cities on the West side, an provide it to the farms & Fruit Orchards over here in Eastern WA State. Temp today was 55-60! Which is WWAAYY to warm this early! Got a feeling the other shoe is going to drop BEFORE Spring really comes!!