Aug 9, 2008

Sweet Dreams Are Made of These

I have been doing an awful lot of daydreaming lately.

I have already made the decision that my time with the Alum Co must come to an end. There has just been way too much stress going on as of late, that I feel I need to step away from it all.

I had made a decision in the recent past to move back closer to family and try to get a local job. Promises of a transfer were made when the New Trucking Co took over my dedicated account last August. But last month, when I made my formal request, they all but said there was no chance in hell. That was when I had found out they had indeed hired someone within a short period of time to cover the position I was requesting.

The issue of the governor during the past two months has all but drove me insane. They are lifting the governor as I type this, so I should be elated. But with everything that has happened, all the empty promises, all the mis-communications, all the attitudes, I really think that this position has already been tainted in such a way, that I will never feel the way I once did. Yes, I still love my route. Yes, my customers are awesome. But the ones who are most directly responsible for "taking care of the drivers" have shown their callous side. After 7 years, I feel completely unappreciated and abused.

So , where does that leave me.

Back to daydreaming.

I have been considering pulling out my map and throwing a dart. Wherever it lands, I go! Find a job and enjoy some new scenery for about six months, before planting my roots back in Bama. I have to be honest, other than the people who reside there, The Rocket City does not call to me. So, while I am young, maybe I should go see something new.

I have also toyed with the idea of packing it all up, and going back Over-The-Road. Put everything in storage, and just ride. Take my home time in Bama with the family and pay off my debts. I don't have much, so it wouldn't take long... I am coveting that new Challenger, so I should pay off the Pony Car, right!!

Right now, both options seem pretty reasonable to me. Maybe my head is not screwed on straight, and I am not thinking clearly. But a huge change is imminent, and I don't want to jump too fast. I am known for jumping!! This is the longest I have stayed in any one location and maybe, just maybe the nomadic side of me is awakening. Afterall, one day I will be too old to do impromptu things like this. I am young, and have no ties that bind, with the exception of blood family.

I really need to do some soul searching and find the best answer for ME... I promised the Bri-Baby I would move closer to her, but if I took all my home time in Bama, would that not be just as good.

So much to be considering.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you plan sounds wonderful! you definitely need a change of pace. and since you will be visiting the sunshine state, why not come out west and visit the golden state? :-)

Sally said...

yeah, if you went OTR, you might get closer to shell and/or me...and you could stop to visit!

Love Bears All Things said...

Maybe if you were there every week it would work but otherwise, no, it wouldn't be the same. See, I tried for a week a month but it was getting harder and harder to make the trip. Then again, you like to drive. I think you should check out trucking jobs in the general area. Do you want long hauls or would you be happy with short ones?
Mama Bear

Unknown said...

I say you buy your own truck and make regular runs from down at the coast to my house, keeping me stocked up with the finest varieties of Dr Pepper.

Mike said...

Or you could deliver SACK LUNCHES to all who deserve them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got some life changing decisions to make, my friend.