Aug 28, 2008

Boring Blog Post Title

Well, Mr T. did it to me again last week and I ended up running Ohio and Michigan which in fact did not turn out too horribly awful.

I actually got ahead of myself the first day.... The 5th customer of the day had told me that if I was to arrive after 3:30pm I would not get unloaded.... I showed up at 4pm and was very promptly unloaded and sent along my merry way. This was in Russia, Oh. Next stop was near Cleveland. About 2 million miles away with the 55mph speed limit for Big Trucks.


But I have no fear, at least not when I should have. I floored it and made excellent time, even though I knew I was done for the day. BUT........ my Near Cleveland stop has unloaded me several times on second shift. Once again another perk, being the only female on the crew. No other driver has been so lucky with this bunch. So once again I was going to tempt fate. I made my arrival around 7:30 and began scouting out a familiar face. None to be found, but the new supervisor agreed to go ahead and unload me, if I was willing to wait until 10pm....

Sure, that still keeps me ahead of the game.

Also in the parking lot was a nice pretty Kenworth.... Glass Hauler.... Out of the Truck pops another cute little female trucker.... And she was about to go for a run.... Score one for me! I grabbed my gear and we managed to get a few miles in while I waited to get unloaded.... That was such a treat for me. To have a running buddy while out on the road!!

But back to my original story.... I have never much worried about Ohio Troopers. They are usually in plain site. So while making good time, I had a few Big Trucks fall in behind me. Not a whole lot of chatting going on, mostly listening in for the Bear Reports...Nearing Columbus, we went our separate ways and I was still running hard. After awhile I noticed a truck closing in behind me. Rapidly.... But as he neared me, he slowed down and fell in behind me.. RIGHT BEHIND ME.. Like almost inside my freaking trailer..... After a few miles, I hollered at him on the CB... NO REPLY.......I tried this several times and got no answer...

I have no problem running the front door, but I would like some crowd participation.....So, when I noticed the Smokey slowly closing in from behind, I decided to play a little game....

I am sooooo horrible....

I accelerated...... My back door did also....... When I knew the smokey was close enough, I let off the fuel and eased towards the white line of the road (pretending to be preoccupied with something) and then straightened up..... It was enough of a maneuver to get the truck behind me to fall out in the left lane. I let the jake brake take over slowing me down to a good safe legal speed and that is when the Smokey turned on the lights and grabbed my silent partner.

See, I am horrible......BUT, in my defense.....Do not expect me to be your front door... and not acknowledge me....but more importantly ... do not attempt to put your vehicle inside my trailer at 68 mph.....and push me down the road!!!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Ooooh, you've evil, but I love it! Serves that guy right!

Unknown said...

I hate, hate, hate Ohio--well except for the really cool service plazas on the toll road. Free showers! that are actually clean (at least as of 3.5 years ago)! It's awesome that you found a running partner on the road.

John said...

That was way too cool! Love it.

Anonymous said...

good girl... Fewer and less drivers participate in the lets go truckin like they did in the good ol days... Let em hangmozartSi