Apr 26, 2008

Oops, I forgot this little Gem!!

I don't know if I would necessarily classify this under something that irritated or just flat out amused me, but it definitely fits into the spectrum of people behaving like idiots on the road.

Last week while driving southbound towards the TriBoro Bridge, I noticed an erratic driver closing in from behind. Now let me set up the locale. There are three normal lanes each direction. The bridge is under construction and the lanes divide into four smaller lanes with a jersey wall separating the two pairs. These construction lanes are literally only about 8' wide. A little tight for two cars to be cruising side by side, but they speed through the site anyways. In a tractor trailer, you have absolutely no room for error, as your tires are on the white lanes on both sides of the truck. I myself like to position myself in the center of the two lanes so that no idiots will side swipe me, while speeding through the construction zone. It is that tight!!

Back to the erratic driver...... as the lanes split into four, I ease my self into position. I am now in the left lane of the right pair. The car behind me is flashing his high beams in what I can only assume was a gesture to get me to get out of his way. He is darting back and forth, side to side, and blinding me with his lights. I would be happy to move over for him, if there were no other motorists in my way.

We are now nearing the point where the Jersey wall separates the two pairs of lanes and I suppose Mr. High Beams was losing his patience. There are about 10 orange cones set up right before the concrete wall takes over, and Mr High Beams displaces all the cones and smacks the concrete divider in a last minute attempt to change lanes. The rear of his car bounced high and left as he made contact, but obviously whatever he was in such a hurry for took more precedence, because he never hit the brakes. There he was passing on my left with his high beams busted and the fender smashed in.... I couldn't help but laugh out loud!!

I can't help but think he must have known the wall was there. I am only in town one day a week and I know it is there. Sure, he couldn't see around me, but this construction zone has been in effect for over a year! Nothing new!