Apr 3, 2008

A Fairy Tale

Once again, all is well in the land of Oz..


Oops, wrong story.


I am happy to report that over the past two weeks, I have not seen the goons who were lurking at my favorite jogging trail. I did take the advice of altering my schedule, so I am running quite a bit earlier in the day.


Spring is here, along with the rain showers, everything seems to be replenishing itself. So pretty and green, with tiny buds of color popping out everywhere. The animals are at it once again. Last week I noticed 3 families of mallard ducks. The adults followed me, swimming close to the perimeter of the pond while the ducklings played carelessly near the shallow end. Ahhhh, I love Nature. And this week I had a doe scare me, not to say I didn't scare her first....


She was down on the lower bank having a nice sip of water, when I came running by and before I noticed her, she was bounding back into the forest. What is so scary about that? Well, I was in between her and the forest....and I almost got a mouthful of deer arse. After I passed, she stood on the edge of the tree line gazing intently on me, but had not disappeared out of fright.


The next time by, I was watching for her, and sure enough, she was drinking again. However, this time she leaped for the cover of trees before I got to her. She did not completely enter the brush as she had the first time, but rather stood in the clearing, twitching her tail, approximately 20 feet away. I slowed to a walk, to not scare her off.


The third time by, she had remained in the clearing and watched me pass, without making a move. I decided I would call it a day, and leave her to her solitude...


After cooling down and heading out, I glanced back over towards the area she had occupied, and there she was standing at the edge of the water drinking, she looked up at me, then lowered her head once again.


I love the fact that I seem to be so in tuned with Nature, that I don't frighten off the wildlife!
now, if only I could convince that little cardinal to back off of the pony car.......grrrrrrr!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOE!

Liöüx said...

One of my BFFs fancies herself as Snow White®™©™.

She used to feed a pack of deer that would pass through her backyard everyday.

She actually got to the point where some of them were literally eating out of the palm of her hand.

She even had names for them.

I told her that's pretty dangerous and probably not a good idea.

One time I was puppy sitting for her and I went to take the dogs out back, and I swear, there were six of 'em standing just feet away.

It totally freaked me out.

AtHomeDaddy said...

One thing worse than if you almost got a mouthful of deer arse, ACTUALLY getting a mouthful of deer arse

OK 2 things.

SACK LUNCH!