Apr 24, 2008

Because Everything is Irritating Me

I just needed to clear the air.



I have heard this question umpteen dozen times this spring and it is really getting on my nerves.



"What is the flowering purple tree growing along the highways?"



I have heard this argument from truckers, patrons of truck stops, and even read a few threads on a forum discussing it, but no one seems to get the answer correct.



The number one answer repeated way too often on the forum was Wisteria... I hate to tell you, but wisteria takes the form of a vine and has to be trained in the shape of a tree, so in its natural environment, it more often resembles a flowery kudzu.



The second most popular answer was Crepe Myrtle ... Huh.. Come on folks, Crepe Myrtles do not flower until summer and have a full showing of leaves before the first cluster of flowers ever even opens.....



It is, in fact, an Eastern Redbud....No, don't let the name fool you, I know it is not red.....Stop arguing with me.... Okay, go look it up for yourself!



Some Truckers are very adamant about it being a crepe myrtle!!

But it is a RedBud!!



and this is where it grows!!



Next argument, please!

3 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm wondering how they all got started along the highways. They must have been planted by the birds.
Mama Bear

Mike said...

Kinda looks like a Crepe Myrtle to me...

Terry said...

grrrrrrrr......oh a wise guy... nyuck nyuck nyuck!!