Apr 18, 2008

It Was Bound To Happen

I like to think that I am a very alert and courteous driver. I mean, after all, I have been touring the New York Metro Area for six years and have never hit anyone, knocked over a telephone pole, or chased down a pedestrian. No one ever blows the horn at me or flips me off anymore. It is almost like I am a Native, which is the best angle to approach the traffic in this Concrete Jungle.


But, alas, I have behaved in a way that is unbecoming and I felt I should share with you.


In between local deliveries, I drive like a crazed lunatic... No Trucks In The Left Lane.... Whatever..... Well, except on the Thruway.. Even I know better! Now don't get me wrong, I am not harassing the taxi-cabs or six-wheelers who don't seem to realize why those lines are on the road. But I am in the left lane, and I do gently nudge motorists into giving me lane position. But I have never hit anyone, and my attempts at intimidation don't seem to phase anyone, with the exception of creating the much needed space required to change lanes.


Okay, so I am not adhering to all of the laws, but as stated above, I am just driving like a Native New Yorker and it suits me well for my limited time frame between multiple deliveries.


Monday, after finishing up in Queens, I head north to Connecticut to make my next delivery. The highway is three lanes wide in each direction with a very distinct restriction on that left lane. So, I am traveling in the middle lane. Further up, the restriction is lifted from the left lane as it approaches the Toll Booths. Left lane is for Easy Pass, which I have, so I merge into the left lane. Out of nowhere, this flatbedder comes barreling into the extreme left lane, cutting motorists off. He was previously in the far right lane. Had I not locked up my brakes and smoked my tires, he would have plowed into my tractor...... Another half mile and the left lane then divides into 4 Easy Pass lanes... Thinking I would give this idiot plenty of room, I head for the third lane. He is making a bee-line for the first lane, but a car has stopped in a 15 mph lane. There are 3 cars in the second lane , so once a gain he veers hard to the left and forces me out of the way. At this point, I key up the CB and express my thoughts on his complete disregard for the motorists on my left. I had no where to go without smashing up some innocent four wheeler. But, I did not! No need to ruin my safe driving record over this idiot.... Another hard brake check and the disaster was averted. I safely pull through the fourth lane, while he is trapped behind another four wheeler who stopped at the unattended booth.


Once through the booths, the lanes once again merge together to form three. Left lane prohibited. I start snatching gears and head into the middle lane, noticing that the flatbedder is now aiming for the right lane with the intention to pass me. At this point there is miraculously no traffic around me. As he begins to gain momentum, I make a quick right swerving motion partially into his lane..... Cutting him off !! I am pissed!! That being done, I steer back into my lane. He attempts to make the pass again, and this time I let him.. I made my point and other vehicles are now approaching. As he pulls up along beside me, he stares hard and throws up his hands. Plain as day, I lip read him saying....." WTF".


Look here Buddy!! You cut me off, not once, but twice!!! Jack Ass!!


I know I shouldn't have, and I was aware of my surroundings, but I regret to admit that YES, my RoadRage was showing that day!!



20-25 miles later, he was at it again. Driving reckless and cutting off traffic to make unsafe passes.... It seems my little display of gratitude did nothing to get his attention. But it sure made me feel better.....

2 comments:

Liöüx said...

What a JERKFACE!!!

Sally said...

I would have done the exact same thing...in fact, I have, just not in a big 'ol truck. =) Figures that it was a male driver...oh, did I just say that?? =)