Apr 3, 2008

NO DOUBT



I mentioned last week that I was told of impending doom... My wheel seal was leaking and needed to be replaced immediately. Not the best way to start off your work week, fear of an imminent breakdown.


But, because there was absolutely nothing I could do about it on Sunday, I headed off into the wild blue yonder. Every 100 miles or so, I would stop and check the axles for heat or seepage. Upon checking the first time, the axles were all very cool. After checking the umpteenth hundred time, they were still very cool. Not to mention no evidence of any type of leaks. I was actually convinced that if there had been 'a very bad leak' that I would be on fire before I left the state of Georgia. Needless to say, by the time I made it in to Virginia, I was no longer concerned and checked in with the Boss Man to let him know a mistake had been made.


He was relieved. And I made 9 deliveries and 7 pick-ups before he called and stated that the mechanic was adamant that I have the seal replaced...That I (the girl) was just not seeing the leak. So, we scheduled an appointment with the Service Shop in Roanoke, Virginia. All I had to do was show up and they would take care of everything immediately.


I could have informed them of my theory (blown egr valve and subsequent loss of 7 gallons of oil coating everything on the truck one month prior), but I wanted an unbiased evaluation. After looking the truck over, the Certified Technician gave me one of those grins... you know the kind. Sort of condescending, but in a nice way! Almost like he thought I was nothing more than a silly girl, who knew little about Big Trucks. " Darling, you do not have a wheel seal leak. It looks like you have had oil blown all over the frame, like a blown egr valve and it just settled in the cracks and crevices.. It does look like a seal leak, but it is not on the drums or in the pads, therefore you have nothing to worry (your pretty little head) about."


Ummmm, could you please tell that to my Boss Man...


After notifying the Boss Man, I was given permission to head for home......As Is... No Repairs.


The doofusses at our shop still insist that there is a leak, I mean, after all, who wants to be corrected by a silly little girl who knows nothing about truckin'.

1 comment:

Digital Fortress said...

Ah, sweet Vindication!

Don’t you love it when your right and you know your right? ;)

Glad your trip turned out safe.