Jan 18, 2008

Scenic Byways

This week, I had a little extra time on my hands, and to make up for the lack of work recently, I decided to run an additional route this week.






I love taking the scenic routes as much as possible when I am traveling about the country, time permitting of course. So this morning I headed up to Blairsville, Georgia to deliver a load. I took the interstate and highway while loaded, but on the return trip, I opted for one of those fabulous scenic byways. Highway 19 travels right across the top of Blood Mountain.






I felt bad for the automobiles behind me because the 40 mile trip across the top took approximately an hour and a half. Not because I was going to slow, but because of the 20 mph curves every mile or so. Occasionally, I would get excited and accelerate up to 35 or 40, but then one of those 10 mph hairpins would sneak up on me!






Okay, well maybe I was being a little overly cautious and indeed taking my sweet time to look around. I just love a nice drive through the country.. There are several hiking trails that lead to the top for splendid views at the summit of the neighboring peaks. I would love to go hiking, but not something that i would attempt on my own....






A few weeks ago, a young female hiker disappeared and was later found murdered on this very same mountain.. Nope, I think I will wait for a partner to attempt hiking!! After all, this is Deliverance country.. Dueling Banjos, anyone??

No comments: