Jan 10, 2008

Ohhhhh, A Wise Guy...


I am somewhat amazed at to what lengths some people will actually go to get what they want.

My phone number for example.

At one of my Massachusetts customers, I have a friend. I shall call him Mr. Boston. He is such a sweetie. Over the years, we have developed a friendship outside of work. About 2 months ago, after making a delivery, Mr. Boston calls me and tells me that the new receiving manager thinks I am a hottie.

When the guy found out that Mr Boston and I were friends, he asked him for my phone number... It was not given to him. Instead, I received the phone call asking for permission. I had no idea who Mr Boston was talking about, so I naturally told him under no circumstances are you to ever give out my number.

That said, it has been two months, and I had another delivery for them on Tuesday. The receiving guy approaches me and introduces himself...(Oh Yeah, the one Mr. B was telling me about). But he seemed to be more social than business in his introduction. I, on the other hand, went about my routine of unstrapping the load... He managed to chase me around the truck a few times while I was unstrapping. Finally, before he departed, he informs me that I need to start calling in a day early and notifying him of an impending delivery. "That way we can make room for the freight before you get here."..

He gives me his personal cell phone number. I continued on in a business demeanor and assured him that he would be notified in a timely manner. After all, some of my other customers request this courtesy and I always oblige them.

Let me give you some statistics... The warehouse I deliver to has got to be at least 200, 000 square foot. I swear that thing appears to be 1/10th mile wide. I drive through one overhead door and unload inside and then pull out the opposite end. You can easily fit at least 10 Trucks inside, nose to tail to illustrate the depth. There are racks upon racks stacked the entire depth of the building, and the racks are only a quarter full....

Now why would anyone need 24 hour advance notice to receive 2 or 3 bundles of aluminum? I could understand better if it was a truck load. But still, not even a truck load would put a dent in the available storage area of this facility. And if someone needed a legitimate notification, would they not give a direct line to their office phone....

Yeah, sure, I am going to call you on your cell phone because you have sooooo little space to put my 3 bundles of aluminum.... Oh, but wait, If I did call you on your personal cell phone, then you would have MY CELL PHONE NUMBER, now wouldn't you??

I seem to recall another fellow who got my number through devious means a few years ago.... He finally quite calling...

So, instead, just to acknowledge his request, I will have Bossman call him when I have a delivery... Or, I could just go back to a second shift delivery schedule. But then Mr. Boston would not be able to buy my lunch...

1 comment:

Mike said...

Isn't a free SACK LUNCH worth a little stalking?