Jun 9, 2007

Did I Miss the Memo?

So, in the past few weeks I have been to see several shows and I am quite amazed.

While I am in no way a sophisticated lady, I was raised to believe that you should look somewhat decent when out on the town.

My father used to take me to see local community theatre in his hometown when I was a child . I remember that everyone was always dressed very nice. The men in dark suits and the ladies had lovely dresses and hats. The kids, well, we were in our Sunday Best.. At least that is how I remember it.

Driving a truck for a living, I dont always get the opportunity to dress up. I mean, its a flatbed trailer and that ensures lots of physical labor combined with dirt and grit. So, I basically wear old t-shirts and blue-jeans while working. Not the most attractive display of fashion savy, I can assure you.

Therefore, I enjoy the opportunity to play dress up, especially now that I have shed 20 pounds.

On my previous outing to watch a friend perform in her community theatre, I was surprised to see the MAJORITY of patrons dressed in shorts, blue jeans, and YES, even sweat pants! What the Hell? She told me it was casual, but sweatpants.. I had expected to see a slightly more GQ type of casual. I felt so out of place in my dress and heels.

Last night, I ventured into Qwinnett County to watch Cirque de Soleil perform Delirium. (I will post my thoughts on the evening at a later time)

And once again, I was absolutley astonished!! These people are quite comfortable in their casual attire... More shorts and tank tops, flip flops, and yes, another pair of sweatpants... I don't get it!!

8 comments:

Ginger said...

A few years ago we were in the habit of attending the musicals performed here. Most people still dress up for them (at least the evening performances). But a lot has changed. My Mother still talks about wearing heels and dresses to Auburn football games in the early 70's. (I'm glad that went out of style!)

Anonymous said...

A different world (today). How is that for the name of a TV show?

Larry

Terry said...

Um Dad, there was a TV show by that name... A Cosby spin-off with the daughter in college.. Boy, your senility is catching up with you!!

Love Bears All Things said...

Let Mama Bear put in her word. I don't mind that we can dress down for football games. I think heels and dresses were a bit much. One can be casual and still look dressed up. I think they call it business casual. Dressing casual has been taken to the extreme just like everything else in society. I am still going to dress up to go to theatre. And I believe sweats are just for home or exercise.
Recently, I changed insurance agencies, I went to their office on Friday. I was shocked by how they were dressed. I wasn't impressed. I think they are losing some of the customers' respect this way. Am I old fashioned? We could do a whole post on this. I guess I did.

lioux said...

I always dress for myself. I like to rock nice clothing!

Terry said...

I don't think you are too old-fashioned Mama Bear!! I think that a lot of society has just become too lazy!! I enjoy dressing up myself

And Lioux, I am sure you just look ravishing when you are out on the town!! ;)

Colleen said...

I hate how everything has gotten so dressed down. I'm not a churchgoer anymore, but when I am there I've even seen shorts and jeans in church, which doesn't seem right. If you don't wear your Sunday best on Sunday, then when? Plus guys can look really awesome in suits and it's a shame they wear them so rarely.

Terry said...

I know Colleen, the last time I was in a church, it was the same thing.. Jeans and t-shirts... Not even cute blouses...ugh..