Nov 1, 2006

Has Anyone seen Toto??


Last week, my journeys took me back out to the mid-west. I used to frequent this area on a weekly basis, but have only been twice in the past 4 years. So, it was a nice change. Wouldnt want to do it every week though. It took me 5 days to accumulate 2000 miles. This week , I racked up the same mileage in just three days (another reason I prefer to run the NE).

My trip began in Memphis, TN, on thru Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Missouri (again) , Illinois, and completed in Kentucky. Because it has been such a long time since my last tour of KS, I was once again enthralled with the scenic drive. I-70. I am a complete nut when it comes to topography. I can stare at the "lay of the land" for hours. (On a commercial flight, you will most likely find me with my forehead pressed against the window, as I try to detemine exactly what city I am flying over.)
So here are a few pics I thought I would share. The vast plains of Kansas. No Dorothy, no Toto, not even a wicked witch. However, the day after I left, 20 tornadoes touched down in Kansas. And as a side note Hwy 54 in Kansas is formally known as the "Yellow Brick Road" It just happens to lead to Kingdom City, Mo. Okay, so its not the Emerald City, but you aint in Kansas anymore either.

So, what do you see??

!

Look really hard!

Okay, so there is nothing there. Just miles and miles of vast nothingness. But if you were to stare for 7 hours, you would eventually see the Rocky Mountains and Denver Colorado. I was tempted to continue driving west. I have not seen Denver in 4 years also. Good thing I didnt!! The day of the tornadoes, a freak snow storm hit Denver and shut the city down.


No comments: