Sep 22, 2006

The One That Got Away

Over the past four years, I have developed quite a fondness for one particular route to the NorthEast. I-85,I-77,I-81. The I-77 stretch is very scenic. At the Virginia-North Carolina state line you begin an ascent to Fancy Gap, Va. This is a 7 mile climb to an elevation of over 2000 ft.

Last week I was a bit surprised to find some new scenery to look at. Now, I myself have never had any problems with the descent. However, there are 3 runaway truck ramps strategically located on the down hill swing for anyone experiencing brake failure. These ramps are clearly marked to alert the truck drivers.

The descent is only a 4 1/2% grade, so I was a little surprised to find it had been used.

My only concern is that the ramp fell short of its intended use. The truck should have sank into the gravel bed long before reaching the top.

Oh, did I mention the fine you are entitled to pay having used this escape route. I hear tell that it is in excess of $15,000. Hope I never have to find out.

One last thing, If you are ever driving down a hill and notice a big truck smoking pretty bad. Might I suggest staying as far away as possible. It could possibly catch fire because the brakes are overheating. This could potentially lead to brake failure, loss of control and 8oK of unstoppable destruction.

3 comments:

Rick said...

That last picture is pretty cool. You need to clean the bugs off the windshield though.

Terry said...

I find this endeavor to be almost useless in the warmer months. Yesterday I cleaned the windshield 3 times in two hours in an attempt to get "cleaner" pictures. My efforts were rendered pointless in mere minutes. I just cant believe the bugs are this suicidal so close to the holidays.....

Mike said...

I saw one of those lanes in Colorado after it had been used. The truck was bogged down half way through the gravel. Even scarier to pass right through the gravel.