Oct 31, 2009

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumbass

I have not done one of these posts in a while, but the Stooges are at it again.


This current scenario started 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed my suspension was started to ride rough (again). This is also about the same time that I noticed my air bags would not inflate when picking up a loaded trailer. Normally the suspension adjusts to the weight placed on it, and after a few short minutes the bags should air up to accommodate for the added weight. Mine do not. I have to climb back into the cab and race the motor for at least five minutes to get the bags to fill, and even then, they do not do the job. ALSO, if I ever use the dump valve (which evacuates the air bags) it continues to exhaust the air until the bags are EMPTY, only then trying to re inflate. This can take up to 15 minutes. Of course, if you are driving down the road and the suspension readjusts for every bump, you do not have 15 minutes for the air to find its appropriate pressure.

If I check the ride height (which one cannot do while driving) I also have noticed that the suspension always looks to be riding low. This my friends, leads to some very hard riding, reminiscent of the old spring ride tractors of yesteryear. I might mention that a malfunctioning suspension also leads to unnecessary and rapid deterioration of key components, including the entire drive line.

But wait, there is more... During all of this, I have developed a very loud groaning noise, that at first only sounded off during the evacuation of the air suspension. Now, it continues to groan whenever it pleases and can be heard at 68 mph on a bumpy road.

Also, this situation means that EVERY trailer is now set too high for me to grab without having to crank down on the landing gear. I did almost run into a nose of a trailer because the king pin slide over the top of the fifth wheel. Caught it in time, because I visually noticed the trailer getting a little too close to the back of the sleeper.

With all that being said (whew!!) I will also mention that all of this was explained to the Stooges three weeks ago. It has been written up for repairs each consecutive week. Last week, when I got back to the shop, I asked if the parts were in for repair (as we stock nothing). I was greeted with a deer in the headlights expression as I was told no parts were ordered. HUH?? It was then explained to me that each week, as the request was rendered for repair, one of the stooges would climb into my tractor, turn the key and note the air pressure in the supply tank. Confirming that the truck was holding at least 100 pounds of air in the tank, it was assessed that no repair was necessary.

I am at a complete loss, but then again, no.

I never once said I was having a problem maintaining suitable air pressure. My requests stressed the dump valve, leveling valve, ride height, groaning noises, and horrible spring-like ride.

Sheesh!! Well, at least I am now comfortable in my seat. Because, you see, from this point on, whenever I take the NYC route, I will be pulling a 45' spring ride trailer. This combined with my spring ride tractor will make for an even more disgruntled Little Trucker. YAY!!

The 45' trailer is a demand placed by the New Hampshire customer, as weather is turning cold and a 53' will not allow them to close the dock bay doors while unloading. All of our 45's are old spring rides!

4 comments:

Gary said...

omg! you have to pull a spring ride trailer? what is the world coming to? hahaha...
sorry, i had to say that. all i pull is spring trailers. :D

John II said...

Terry, now I know why you wrote about "jumping the gun". This is probably what you were expecting, huh? Sorry to hear your truck is giving you problems again. Maybe you should buy a couple more cushions for the air bags and they'll stay up. :D As for the Stooges:
Moe-(Watches Larry and Curly blowing air into garden hoses attached to the truck's air bags)-"What are you numbskulls doing now?!"
Larry-"That gal with the trucker's butt says her rig's air bags aren't getting enough air, so were testing them" (Continues blowing air into the garden hose)
Curly-(Getting out of breath) "Hey Moe, why don't you give a try? I'm feeling dizzy." (Hands Moe the hose)
Moe-(Grabs the hose from Curly and wraps it around Curly's head and lifts him to his feet) "Quit playing around and turn on the truck so we can see where the heck the air is leaking from!"
Curly-(Growling at Moe) "Grrrr! Ruff! Ruff!"
Moe-(Slaps curly in the face) "I said get in the cab and start it up!" (He goes to Larry and pulls his ear) "Make yourself useful and get me some tools. I'll fix it myself."
(While Larry grabs some tools, Curly starts up the truck. He revs the engine to build up air pressure. At the same time, Moe has put the hose in his mouth as a joke and suddenly begins to fill up with air)
Larry-(Seeing Moe getting bigger and bigger) "Quick, Moe! Get the hose outta your mouth!"
Moe-(Panicking and pointing towards himself) "Mmmmmm! Mmmmmm!"
Larry-(Runs to the cab and gets Curly's attention) "Curly, turn off the engine!" (At that moment, the hose burst and Moe goes flying like a deflating balloon)
Curly-"Look at Moe go; he looks like the Hindenburg. Oh, the humanity! Oh, the horror! This is the worst of the worst catastrophies ever! Nuk-nuk-nuk!"
(Moe crashes into a shelf of truck parts and gets himself buried under it. Curly and Larry go over and began digging Moe out)
Larry-"Moe, speak to us! You OK?"
(Moe stands up from the mess)
Curly-"Say Moe, now that you are in good health, how about we take a lunch break?"
Moe-(Turns around and grabs an axe) "I'm not hungry right now, but I'm about to go 'Lizzie Borden' on both your asses!"
Curly-"Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop!" (He runs for the nearest exit)
Larry-(Looks at Moe and realizes he's going to be killed) "Curly, wait for me, old buddy!"
(Moe chases them with the axe as Larry and Curly run screaming like girlies across the truck yard)

doomytunes said...

There is a rod underneath the tractor. It has something to do with the bags. Mine broke and did everything you said your truck was doing. Even the moaning. I took it to TA and it was a 12 dollar part that took 15 minutes to fix. look underneath your drives to see if a rod is dangling.

Terry said...

GARY...OMG, you dont have to ride on NEW YORK CITY ROADS!! We use to have a rule mandating that NO spring rides went into NYC because the loads would fall apart on the trailer. Literally. Oh well, time for more duct tape :)

JohnII... Did someone grow up watching the Stooges? You did an excellent job of writing that script. I was rolling with laughter because I can just see them, the real Stooges in action. NICE!!

Doomy, Yeah, I know about the rod, it is usually the first thing I check. You may also bend it and that will mess up your suspension. This is a malfunctioning dump valve, and I fear it is leaking continuously. The empty bags are only a result of dropping a trailer, the bags just wont readjust.