Nov 2, 2009

Rebel Without A Cause

My buddy AA always gives me grief about the actions I take and the deductive reasoning behind it. For example, most states have a regulation in place that states that if there are more than 2 lanes, Trucks are restricted to the right two. Great, no problem. Except, when someone does something stupid directly in front of you and the left lane is your only means of avoiding a collision.


For example, a few years back, I was cruising the middle lane in Connecticut passing the slower traffic in the right lane, when a lady in a four wheeler decided to dart in front of me. I slowed to accommodate for her erratic decision. But then, every 100 yards or so, she would slam on the brakes, slowing to well below the posted speed limit. Eventually, she is able to maintain a constant speed and we are flowing nicely. But, I suppose her phone must have rang, because, after a few minutes, she really locked it down. I know, you are probably thinking I should have left more space between vehicles, but lets face it. That is just not possible on the 95 corridor around NY/CT. So, rather than plow into her, or slam into vehicles on my right, I dodged and weaved my way into the VERY RESTRICTED left lane. I was in it for maybe 30 seconds, but it was 30 seconds too long. In an instant, there were blue lights behind me. I received a very lovely driving reward, and of course, preventing an accident was not a good enough excuse to be there.

Another example would be the time I was empty running up a steep incline into the Allentown area of Pennsylvania. I was in the middle lane, again. But, I was empty, and it was a steeeeeep grade. About half way up the hill is a high volume traffic entrance ramp, usually filled with heavy trucks trying to merge into traffic at 20 mph. That was exactly the case this time. Except, it was two trucks. Both were heavy, but the second truck was moving 3 mph faster than the lead truck. So what does he do. He comes off the ramp directly into the middle lane at 25 mph. Now, at this point I am flying up the hill at about 65 and could have never stopped in time. SOOOOOO, my only option? Go LEFT. Yep, another 15 seconds too long. As soon as I passed the idiot in the center lane, I immediately cut back over in front of him, but it was too late. I pulled off at the next exit and although I had just saved my own life and prevented the interstate from being closed extensively, my reasoning was not good enough for the Officer.

Therefore , I do NOT EVER resort to using the left lane in Connecticut or Pennsylvania. Been there, done that, paid for the experience. And the Pony Car insurance was not cheap to begin with. But here is where my logic becomes the topic of AA's amusement.

I will not run the left lane in CT or PA, but since I have not been busted in NYC.....LOL.....Well, you get the idea. Heck, the left lane is the only way to fly on the Cross Bronx.

But of course, I am not stupid, so no, I dont abuse the "privilege" on the other expressways around the city. However, today, I managed to try out a new left lane. That being the one belonging on the Long Island Expressway... Definitely a NO NO. Supposedly, the two right lanes were blocked ahead for a Pothole Patrol, and well, by deductive reasoning, that only leaves the HOV and left lane open. Right? Not being one to dilly dally, I quickly jumped left along with a few more brave souls and we got through the back up with very little delays, but only a few others followed. The rest were busy telling us we were not allowed over there. Until a few miles down the road, when they figured out they had to be there.


Oh, and I wish I could have got a picture of Saturday Night's big adventure. Little Trucker riding the HOV lane in Atlanta... This time I was the only truck to do it. Accident ahead, and we were merging from 7 lanes down to 2. One of them being the HOV. Will naturally, I am there.

I personally do not think that in an emergency situation, the Law Enforcement Officers are going to penalize you for riding in a restricted lane, especially if the only lanes available are restricted. Might as well, go for broke. But I can guarantee you that it will be a long time before you catch me in an HOV lane again...

4 comments:

John II said...

Yeah, I've done that as well; riding the third lane. Sometimes it's because the trucks ahead of me merge to the second or middle lane to allow incoming traffic from the freeway entrances or to avoid collisions with erratic drivers. (This left move to the third lane also qualifies because of "middle lane bandits" described from your video clips)
I wonder if AA ever drove down the third lane and got busted by the state trooper or the highway patrol.

John said...

I got the same "reward" in Indianapolis for the same reason, trying to avoid the trucker behind me from slamming into my rear end when the one in front of me hit his brakes hard because of the unmarked trooper sitting on the should er who quickly took advantage of the opportunity and pulled me over. I was one hot puppy.

Terry said...

John II, but you are not restricted, are you? I dont borrow the left lane unless it is an emergency, merging traffic will just have to wait. And as for the bandits, why do you think they infuriate me so, because I cannot go left without paying for it.

John, it would not surprise me if the fellow in front of you was not at risk of getting a speeding ticket anyways, therefore making his brake check unnecessary. You got to love it...And glad to see you are still hanging about. :)

John II said...

In CA, where I drive, the right lanes are reserved for trucks and vehicles with trailers (unless the lanes are marked with "TRUCKS OK"). Middle lanes are only for passing and left lanes are for much quicker traffic. The only time I had to use the far lane of left lane was to avoid bottlenecks or people who don't understand the term 'merging traffic'. You don't have to come to a complete stop to allow vehicles entering from an on-ramp. Once it's clear, then I'll retreat back to the right lane.