Oct 23, 2009

Another Golden Moment


I absolutely live for those opportunities in which I can do something that will brighten someone else's day. This, in turn, sends me to cloud nine for a few days myself.


I had one such opportunity recently. If you have followed through this blog any length of time, you may be aware of how proud I am of our Military. I consider myself to be extremely patriotic. So, last week, while I stopped to refuel the pony car, I quickly noticed a small convoy parked at the fuel stop. It may have had 7 soldiers in total. After purchasing my fuel, I wandered around the store until I found one of the soldiers. I then told him how thankful and proud I was that he and his fellow servicemen had volunteered to protect my freedoms. Without a moments hesitation, he replied, " Thank you for recognizing our sacrifices!!" He had the most sincere look in his eyes, and it made me sad to realize that with all of the bickering amongst ourselves, has America forgotten to show the true heroes that we are still behind them, still proud, and still very thankful. I then offered to buy the group's meal for the evening. It was only fast food, but I wanted to show my appreciation. Support My Troops. They were grateful, but declined as they were transporting certain equipment and were due back on the road. I once again thanked them for serving and made my way to the restroom.

When I returned, I noticed one was loading up on supplies, coffee, gum, etc...I patiently waited until he had retrieved everything he needed, and as he made his way to the counter, I slipped in front of him. When the cashier asked me if I needed anything else, I said. "Yes, I am going to pay for everything this man is purchasing!!"

That is when the room started buzzing. People stopped and noticed. People started talking to the soldiers, showing gratitude. I think I ended up buying 3 cups of coffee, 3 packs of mints, 3 packs of gum, and one canister of over priced Maxwell House. It was not much, but it meant so much to me to be able to do that. I think what made it even more special is that people reacted to my gesture.

No... The best part was when the soldier hugged me and said that I probably had no idea how much that small gesture meant to him and his group. The look on his face was so serious when he had remarked about 'recognizing his sacrifice'. So, no matter what you believe, I sincerely hope you are supporting our troops, too!! Because that one moment of sincere gratitude in his eyes, for my recognition of his sacrifice was worth a thousand fast food dinners!!

11 comments:

Sally said...

Girl, you made me cry!! Thank you for recognizing how special our troops are. That's awesome what you did. I love it when our military is in uniform so we can easily see who they are. They deserve our respect and praise!!

John II said...

That was just great, Terry. Thanks for the blog. Our soldiers need our support just as much as need them to protect everyone's freedom.

Unknown said...

This is just a small part of why we all love you so much!

Gabby

ZT said...

That is the best thing I have read in a LONG time. Terry you are remarkable.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Terry!

doomytunes said...

Random acts of kindness go a long way and can be quite addicting. Coming from a military family and having friends in the military I know that they appreciate the way they are treated nowadys vs back in the past when it seemed no one honored them.

Indy said...

Well .... Terry. What can I say? This again shows you for the incredible individual that you are.

I thank YOU for reminding us to show our gratitude towards all who make a difference in our lives - not restrictive to the men and women who serve our country.

Above all else, it is wonderful to know that at least ONE person recognises and acknowledges such contributions.

Terry said...

Thanks Sally, I know it is very close to you and your husband. I just hope I can inspire more people to show gratitude.

Absolutely right John II. I hope your soldier is safe and returns home to much love and gratitude.

Thanks Gabby!! I try to show my good side occasionally.

ZT! Hey Girl, Thanks for stopping by. Good to hear from you.

Doomy, I think they still dont get enough respect, but I am only one person, so I do what I can.

Indy, I appreciate your kind words, as always. I think this world would be a much better place if we all remembered to show our appreciation much better, myself included.

Gary said...

you are awesome right along with our soldiers!

John said...

This is exactly why I lover reading your blog.

Terry said...

Thanks John, you did a great job raising me :)