Feb 18, 2009

All Is Well That Ends Well.....

Update.....After this weekends numerous mis-communications, I did found out that everyone except me knew about the new gate hours.  The reason I was never told, is because I am normally in New England, and don't typically haul scrap.


Monday finds me sitting back at my FAVORITE SHOP. I was able to swap trucks and continue on my way, after a slight 5 hour delay. The delay was necessary due to the fact that the trailer I had grabbed at the mill had 5 leaks in the air lines, one wheel that was about to fall off, and no license plate.  Trailer repaired, I made my way back into the scheme of things.  Two days later, I was told my truck was ready....

You know, I think from now on, if I have any more problems with the truck, I will just head straight to Tennessee. I mentioned 3 things that needed the once over, and all three things were addressed and corrected.  Two of the items where the result of an oversight at the Atlanta shop. After all the whoopla with the battery cable ordeal, it turns out that a wiring harness had melted and shorted out as well, hence the loss of power and lack of an engine brake. But the big news is.......The elusive exhaust leak that I have been plagued with for months has now been repaired!

The Ol Girl is now completely road ready. REALLY....There is nothing else wrong with her...Nothing........

sigh

So, I am awaiting one last trailer that will send me home in the morning. I am exhausted. 

Oh...I almost forgot....When I originally got this truck 14 months, it had a bad leak on the rear end. Well, not really a leak. There is a vent on the rear chunk, and as the pressure would build in the rear axle, this vent would blow oil out....I would have to have the rears filled with oil on a regular basis. I gave up on having this diagnosed and repaired after numerous attempts in a 4 month period.  I mentioned this predicament to the Tennessee shop one time....Today, a new vent was installed. .....

There is nothing else wrong with my truck....Seriously...... Thanks to all the wonderful fellows at those Tennessee shops!  I heart you in a big way!  Maybe, I will send them a goodie basket, just for getting everything fixed, after 14 months of struggling.....


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the squeaky wheel, er battery cable, er rear chunk vent, has finally been greased and is DOT ready?!? Go get, Lil Trucker!!!
Good luck out there.

Anonymous said...

errr... They didn't check for cable melts in the first place????
And I just thought that once you had a loose (and therefore arcing) cable battery cable (serious amperage!) they just checked all the cabling as a matter of course.
Doh!
But, it is all good news, hope it stays that way.

Anonymous said...

well, maybe your phone call on sunday brought you some good luck??? j/k. glad to hear things are looking up. maybe this will help with the big decision.

Terry said...

Thanks HilmarKid..It has been a long difficult struggle....Hopefully as the exhaust fumes continue to clear from my head, I will see brighter pastures along those winding highways!!

Simon, I am so glad you typed that. I too, would have thought certain things would have been checked immediately. Oh well, it is finished for now....I am looking forward to getting my work finished with no more hassles, except the normal ones.

Gary, who won the race???

Anonymous said...

Many years ago (many, many) I had a tail lift cable come loose and dangle on the prop shaft. It wore through and the only thing I new was a sudden weirdness across the instruments.
Then another truck pulled alongside with the driver waving frantically so I pulled of the motorway only to have a sudden loss of power steering.
With one foot on the dashboard to get full leverage on the steering wheel I pulled over in a safe place. It turned out that the chassis of the truck had reached such a temperature it was melting all the rubber hoses, cabling a reservoir boxes attached to it.
These beasts of burden produce phenomenal power and amperage. They reckoned the (by the state of the cable) it had only been happening for around 10 minutes – just glad I wasn’t cooked LOL

Terry said...

TWB.....(found your list of rules!! sorry about that)....I have only been flagged over one time, for a flaming wheel seal. Thankfully it was in the morning before heavy traffic, and was extinguished quickly. But the fire was a result of a seal being improperly installed....Yikes.

Anonymous said...

No worries :-)

John said...

Again, your patience is astounding.