Feb 24, 2009

You Get What You Deserve

Last week, I worked myself into a frenzy trying to catch up after several delays early in the week.So when it came time to bid on this weeks run, the only thing on my mind was recovery time. I chose a short haul, 10 stops in Alabama, calculating the amount of time I would have off in the evenings to recuperate.  My projected schedule would have me unload 7 stops on Monday, 15 hours of downtime, 3 more drops bright and early on Tuesday and a quick trip through the woods to get back to the plant.


I was browsing through my paperwork looking for any instructions. Often there are notes for the driver to call ahead and schedule appointments, of give 24 delivery notification.  Such was the case for a new delivery destination in Ethelsville, Al. The notes indicated that a 24 hour notification was required and an appointment was needed. POOH !!  I was hoping to get that drop off as part of my Monday.  The next three drops were at the far end of the state, and with the loss of making this delivery on Monday, that would push my arrival at the plant until Wednesday Morning.  900 Miles in 3 days, Not Good!  So, I quickly began to make the necessary calls hoping I could sweet talk someone into receiving me early. That is when I found out that this location was not even opened on Mondays. I left a message, and rather than get in a tizzy about  it, I accepted my fate, and finished out what I could. After my 6th drop, I was busy making plans for a shower and some R n R....

My phone rings, and lo and behold, it is my 7th customer. He says that he will be more than happy to meet me at his shop and promptly get me unloaded, as he only lives 2 miles away. After delivering he gives me his mobile number, and assures me than if I am ever in the area with another delivery, and can not get through the office phone, to call him personally and he will make sure someone is there to meet me, even on the off days!

I know I will never have to call in on this favor, but this is why I love our customers. Maybe it has something to do with the long term relationship they have with the Aluminum Company, or maybe it is more directly aimed at me, for being such a pleasant and efficient representation of the Alum Co. But either way, I am very spoiled and treated very well!  

So, I made the 8th stop bright and early, and now I sit awaiting my final two stops. OMG..I am actually waiting for another truck to get out of my way....that does not happen often......

Dispatch has assured me that I will be taken care of, having so few miles this late in the week (remember I only work through Wednesday, typically) so I am to get back on the scrap haul...The one I ran last week. Which is exactly what i was hoping for, because I have  more issues with the truck...... So if you will, laugh..laugh out loud!!!! Please!!  Because if you don't start laughing at me, then I might just start crying.....

No seriously, they are not major issues. Just something I have put on the back burner until I got all the important stuff cleared away. Well, except for that one noise....It seems that I might be developing a hole in my air to  air boot....Kind got that sucking wind noise going on occasionally....or more like air being slowly released from a balloon in short spurts!  So, the door is opening..I must go back to work now!!!

Ooroooooo, for now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stick with it lil trucker! By the time you get all those little things taken care of, will it be time to get the truck overhauled? Just askin'. ;-)

Indy said...

Oooorooooo! I will have you a Strine in no time! Hahahahaha

Don't you just love her, readers????

Good luck with the mechanicals and with regard to the customers ...... I know EXACTLY why you're treated as you are. It is all in a thing called "attitude".

With the "right" one, doors are magically opened!

Hang in, Sunshine! Rart thar!

:-)

Terry said...

The HilmarKid....LOL..I am hoping I can up with the repairs this truck seems to demand...I am not sure when we get new trucks, the last company swapped us out at about 450,000 miles.... Only 250k to go!!

Indy.. I think you have been watching TTT a little too much !! Rart Thar!! :)

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha...lollollollollol...lmaolmaolmaolmao!

verification word-whorid...yes, i am!