Feb 15, 2009

I Should Have Known

I made it to work on Saturday....Instead of my normal route, I was scheduled to handle our little scrap run all week. The good thing about this is that the trailers are waiting on me. I grab one, run it back to the plant, dump it and return the mill to grab another one. It is a 24/7 operation, and I can haul as many as I feel up to in the next 6 days.


I was told I could start on Saturday, which means I could grab enough for a good paycheck and still make it back home by Wednesday. Yes, I know, I am lazy.

I arrived at the plant on Saturday evening, swapped back into MY TRUCK and set out for my first trailer. The Truck, well, she is perfect. I guess it was a simple little ground wire. I can't find a single thing wrong with her. Well, except the hint of an exhaust leak, but I will deal with that later. Not that I will let it slide, after all, I have already been poisoned by an exhaust leak on two separate occasions and have no desire to go through that again. But, nothing can be done until Monday. 

SHE IS PERFECT!!

My intentions were to be hooked to my third dump by Monday morning, insuring that I would have made ample trips to allow me to return home Wednesday night. So, I made the 1.25 hour trip to the mill, only to find the gates locked and no security guard in sight. I blew the horn, I shined my highbeams into the yard, I sat and waited. I checked the plant. It is open but sits empty. Not a car in the parking lot except one, located by the guard shack.  There must be a guard here!! The plant is unlocked. But he/she is obviously taking a nap in a hidden location. I sat and waited some  more. I blew the horn again. I entered the plant again....All to no avail.

This is not helping with my strategy. This is not helping my mood.  Why send me over here with explicit orders to start on Saturday, if I cannot get in the freaking gate to grab my preloaded trailer.


UGH!!!!!  Why do I feel like I keep getting kicked in the gut.

Oh well, Did I mention that my truck, she is a perfect!!!  and clean too!!!

3 comments:

Indy said...

A truckies life, eh? Hurry up and wait!!!!!!!!!

We even have whole forums dedicated to that on our by truckies, fir truckies web site!

Still, at least your little baby is behaving herself! Them pesky earth wires will do that!

Technology! Bah!!!!!!!

Kindest Regards

Indy

Unknown said...

YAY!!!!!!!

Did you ever find the security guard? and did he/she have drool on their chin from napping? LOL!

Anonymous said...

boy, i guess it's time to try door number 2...