May 5, 2007

Not What It Seems.....

I am feeling a bit depressed at the moment...

It seems a particular male friend of mine is having troubles with his wife. This friend has never crossed any "lines" when it came to our friendship... Nothing was ever said that could have been considered inappropriate...

Well, he has been contacting a bit more frequently...And it has me worried.

Am I so naive? Is it true that men and women can truly never be just friends.. I have always maintained that it was possible. Silly Me!!

I just received a message from him asking me if I would be willing to go get something to eat next time I am in town.. I did NOT respond.

DAMN IT, I think I just lost another friend!! Great, now I have another awkward moment to deal with. And I am really no good at awkward moments, especially when it comes to having to re-explain something that I thought was already understood. I mean sure, maybe he really does just need someone to talk to....but I personally think that should be a male friend.. I ain't getting in the middle of this!!! Grrrrrrr.....

Okay, let me explain something.. This man is not really a true friend.. He is more like a casual acquaintance with whom I exchange witty banter. We don't go out and socialize together... But we are close enough to know details of each others existence outside of the immediate conversation.. You know, just someone with whom you cross paths on a regular basis, and begin to become familiar with. I have known of his wife from Day One.. And I thought their relationship was wonderful... It seemed that way to me!!

This is just something else to frustrate me, until the situation is handled... Which it will be resolved ASAP.... Grrrrrr.......

Can you people please stop dumping stuff in my lap... I really don't need the excessive stress it puts me through, trying to deal with your crap...

Okay, that last statement was really directed at someone else... but if you don't pay attention, I can't help you... Psychiatrist-5 Cents...... Just call me LUCY.

9 comments:

Angel said...

Sorry chicky... I hate to lose a friend too. Hang in there.

Overwhelmed! said...

Sorry to hear about this.

You know, it IS possible for men and women to be good friends, as long of them both feel the same way. I'm happily married. Before I met my husband, I had a very close male friend. He was the one that actually introduced me to my husband and he ended up being my husband's best man in our wedding because my husband came to like him as much as I did.

I've always thought of this particular friend as an older brother and I think he's viewed me as a younger sister, so maybe that's why it worked. We're still good friends today. He's married and a new father. Now we have marriage and parenthood in common, so that's cool!

In thinking about your situation, I think if my male friend started contacting me frequently and wanted to talk to me about his failing marriage, I'd probably actually agree to meet him. My husband would know full well what was going on, but I'd want to offer moral support for my male friend and try to encourage him to seek counseling to save his marriage.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your friend. I hope it's not going the way you think it is.

Terry said...

Overwhelmed, I do believe it is possible, too. However I am feeling a bit cynical at the moment. Being single, I have run into this situation before and it turned out for the worst, exactly what I am suspecting right now.. I will give hime the benefit of the doubt for the moment, but one false move and he's outts there!!

Thanks Angel, for your continued support!! :}

maddie said...

Oh, dear. I used to think men and women could have platonic friendships, but I don't think so any more. I believe that most people get into the 'when harry met sally' relationship syndrome, where one person desires the other and will take being friends for as long as it takes to break down the other. well, at least that's how it has happened for me, and i have been on both sides of the equation. my best suggestion is to go with your gut. woman's intuition is a very strong force.

lioux said...

Sticky situation. But I think you're going about this the right way!

Ginger said...

I think that Overwhelmed has the exception and not the rule. Tell this guy that your boyfriend would not like you going out to eat with a male friend alone. But if his wife comes along, it will be okay.

Love Bears All Things said...

I believe men and women can be friends. Maybe some clarification needs to be done up front. But if you feel uncomfortable with this new attentions, go with your feelings.

Terry said...

Thanks everybody!! for your input.

I think my "friend" sensed the unease his suggestion caused me.. He has not mentioned anything else about getting together and conversations have returned to normal...I think he misunderstood my concern for his marriage, as being more of a concern for him personally... But all seems well..

Love Bears All Things said...

Hey Terry, it is the 11th, where are you girl? Are you alright?
Mama Bear