Sep 7, 2011

Orientation: Day Two


Today was somewhat better, I suppose. Still have not loaded a car on a trailer yet. At least not in orientation. I have loaded numerous cars on other occasions.

The activities started immediately with watching cars being loaded. I am not here to watch,damn it. But the driver was not willing to risk my rookie status and feared damages, and because he is not actually a trainer, I don't blame him. However, that did not stop me from strapping cars, which I did of my own initiative. He watched for a few minutes, tempted to stop me, but obviously was impressed enough to let me continue.

LUNCHTIME

So at this point, I have watched two drivers load trailers. One with 4 months experience, one with seven months. Upon returning from lunch, I struck gold and was tagging along with a 17 year veteran car-hauler.

The thing that amazes me and I am ever so grateful for is this. I know a few longterm car-haulers and they all give me respect for my endeavors. They are willing to give advice and tell me how to NOT screw up. The two rookies were more focused on showing me how badass they were. I have now met the guy who NEVER damages anything. This was told to me on numerous occasions. This was told to me while he was telling me wild stories of miraculous saves. This was told to me just before he loaded a car in a "pocket", raised the deck and marred the wheel. NEVER happened, I am sure (wink,wink).

Oh, I should probably mention that the other trainee... he never returned after lunch.

So, the boss promised he would talk to the drivers and make sure that I would get to load tomorrow. He also spent some time trying to convince me not to give up. Of course, I assure him that I was not leaving. It seems that there is a high turnover rate of new car-haulers. It is not for everyone....

Still convinced that I am going to absolutely love it !!!!

2 comments:

John said...

Soon, Terry, very soon and you'll be hauling vehilces in no time at all.
Just out of curiousity, what make/model rig will you be given and how many cars, vans, SUVs, and pickups can be allowed on an car-hauler?

Terry said...

John, I am not sure what year the Sterling Truck is but it has almost a half a million miles on it.. The load will be determined by the size of the vehicle. I think my standard load of SUVs will be 8 unless they are small. Cars will probably 9.