Sep 6, 2011

Orientation: Day One

Wow....

What a day!

Okay, so my first day in orientation went a little something like this...

SITTING, sitting, SITTING, sitting, LUNCH, watch a guy load his trailer, and back to the motel!

Not really sure what I expected of today, but I was very disappointed. There is one other guy who is going through orientation with me, and I have to say that I don't think he is going to be successful. The first thing I noticed, he had no heart. Yeah, it is still trucking, but I have to love what I do or I will be miserable. I think I will love hauling cars even more than I did with the aluminum. On several occasions he mentioned to me that he was not even sure he wanted to do this, but was just looking for something different. In fact, I believe he said he had not even quit his current employer yet.

But enough about him...

After sitting the entire morning, a truck finally arrived and we were sent to soak up the primary aspects of loading cars by WATCHING this fella go to work. He was a very personable kind of guy and offered me his number if I had future questions. I was shocked to learn he only had 1 year OTR experience with an additional 7 months of hauling cars. I caught several "mistakes" he was making, but I kept my mouth shut. In essence, I learned nothing today.

In all, the day was very disappointing. I was eager to show off my aptitude, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. We load cars tomorrow!!

Oh yeah, I fly into Louisville, Ky this weekend to pick up my truck....

That is all.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Todays Walk said...

Congrats Lady! The Ori days are either boring or way overwhelming. Have a safe flight. Just think about all the cars you get to drive, well for a few feet! It's been a few years, but the Blue Grass Pkwy was r.e.a.l.y bad, wish I never got on it. Picture a road with tons of pot holes and everyone is doing 100 mph. Well, thats BGP! Have fun in your new truck!

J.M. said...

Yeah, like T.W. said. Those ori days will be gone like that and you're off on a new adventure in your auto-hauling career. Can't wait to see some upcoming photos of your job. :)

Marc said...

Hang in there, Terry. You'll be haulin' cars in no time!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My book is at Amazon
(search 'Marc Mayfield' there). You can read Chapter 1 and (I think) Chapter 7 at Overdrive's Channel 19 Blog. The book will be featured in the October issues of Truckers News and Today's Trucking.
And I'm at Goodreads.

I want to give you a copy to say Thanks (with a capital T) for your blog. I sent a copy to YouTube's Trucking Diaries lady (Alicja) at her company HQ and they held it for her. I'd be happy to do the same for you.

Safe trip / Marc Mayfield