Sep 17, 2011

Michigan Bound

After arriving in Sellersburg, IN, I had every intention to clean up the truck a little and get familiar with it. It definitely looks like a work truck, inside and out. Plus, it smells like sour cat litter and ass. However, I am so excited to begin this phase of my career, that even the 477,000 miles on the odometer did not upset me. It is MY new car carrier.

First on the agenda, is to load my car!!  Oh boy....  I was very nervous to say the least. Not only have I never played with a Quick Loader Rack, but I also have never loaded a manual transmission vehicle. I have also never loaded a sports car which typically have a lower seat and taller door frame to see out of. I am 5' tall, and yes, this could be an issue. And, realistically, I just did not want to load MY CAR !!

It turns out I had absolutely no problem getting the Pony Car loaded up. I did, however, have a problem with the fact that another driver was also headed to Michigan and his truck broke down. It was now requested of me to give this fellow a ride...  UGH!!!!  This has the potential to get very ugly, but I agree and just hope the guy is not some bitter, bitchy, smelly, whiny truck driver.  After waiting over an hour, he finally arrives, and looked to be quite disgruntled. We mutually agree to make the trip together and it turns out.. I have made a new friend!!

He is experienced with 7 years of hauling cars. He will also load out of the same terminal as me and he had a great attitude about Little Ol Me wanting to haul cars. The 7 hour trip ended up being quite pleasant, and despite the anxiety of what is to be expected over the next few weeks, I now have a training buddy...  Which will make things sooooooo much more bearable

6 comments:

Jeffro said...

Heh. I don't have enough room left in my day cab to keep a cat, much less give someone a ride!

That positive 'tude will do you right.

John said...

Good luck with the new career and glad you made a friend.

Terry said...

Don't know where the smell is coming from, just very sour and rank!! And there is no passenger seat in my truck, so we had to improvise...

Lynn said...

My truck had 413,000 miles on it when I got it, and it has never let me down like those Volvo's did. Some things are better with age.

Terry said...

Lynn, this truck felt very solid for what it is. Getting a few tweaks done and I will probably have a stout, dependable right lane truck!!

Anonymous said...

What type of transmission does the car hauler have?