Oct 16, 2008

Running Rampant

Ha.... I decided to do a light hearted and carefree post after all this fussing I have been doing lately. I know I said I was going to try and reel that in, but honestly..... I don't fuss live and in person, so here is where I dump all of it..... Sorry folks, just kind of goes with the title.... ROADRAGE......

Anywho, if any of you ever look at my side bar, you might notice some running totals per each month along with a map. The map was to illustrate just exactly how far I would have it, should I attempt a virtual cross country run. What a joke!!

I have been such a slacker this year!

But, recently I had purchased a Garmin pedometer that uses GPS to record your mileage stats.

I love this thing, and because I also love numbers, I have been more motivated to get out and run. And because it uses GPS, I can run anywhere and get fairly accurate totals. No more recalibrating the old fashion pedometer that was based on stride length...no more cheating on distance totals either :)

So, in the past few weeks, I have run in Bridgeport, New Jersey; Hauppage, NewYork; Edison, New Jersey; and Glastonbury, Connecticut. I figure if Gabsatrucker can get out and run all over the place, well, then so can I...

You will also notice that I am almost back into the swing of things as my total for this month, already exceeds the previous months and this month is only halfway over..... Pathetic!!

8 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

I have always gotten out and walked in the cities I traveled to with Honey Bear. It is interesting. Sometimes I would have him go out with me first to make sure it would be safe. We usually stay in a fairly nice area, though.
I think it is a good thing to do. Gets your exercise and sees some of the area, too. You never know what you might see.
Mama Bear
It was great to spend some time with you again. Loved that Karaoke night.

Anonymous said...

Quick "personal" question. I too like to exercise (bike) but being on the road, how do you "clean up?" Are decent showers that readily available?

Just wondering before I start my trucking career how much cardio I'll actually be able to work in.

Thanks.

Terry said...

Mama Bear, I don't get to see the prettier side of things, as most of my deliveries are in industrial areas, but those parking lots get to be pretty big. I usually run laps in one location to stay in the safe area, near the truck.



David, Just so you know....ALL Major Truck Stops offer showers (free with purchase of fuel) for about $10. Most Truckin Companys will reimburse this. Most of the smaller fuel stops also have showers. The only thing is that you may have to wait in line for your turn, unless you can schedule your excercise so that you don't finish up at peak showering time. Depending on your location in the country you should be able to find a TruckStop/shower fairly easily. I think the amount of cardio you are able to work in , will only depend on your effort, so you should be good to go!! and Good Luck!!

Oh, and not all showers are created equal...sorry!

Kathy said...

Amen to all showers are not created equal. I have been in some nasty showers while out on the road with hubby. The only way hubby would get any exercise is when I would say "I'm going for a walk", he would then go with me to make sure I was safe. Now that I don't go with him anymore I know the only exercise he gets is walking from the truck to the truck stop store and back.

Unknown said...

Great job Terry!!!!!!! Getting out and running in different locations does help break up the monotony--even if it is running laps around the parking lot, LOL--just seeing the strange looks is enough to crack me up sometimes.

If you haven't already be sure and get a tiny canister of pepper spray to carry with you. I got mine from Academy Sports and it has a clip on the side that I just hook onto the front of my running shorts. There are also a ton of interesting podcasts out there that help pass the time (just be sure and keep the volume down and only wear the earbud in one ear to listen for cars, people, etc.).

David, Terry's right, the motivation is going to depend on you. Way too many drivers decide that they'd rather stay up all night hollering on the cb or playing video poker. Also, I have one day that's an exercise day that I don't have access to a shower directly afterwards so baby wet wipes are absolutely essential.

Gab

Anne said...

Hi, I'm here via John's blog. Congrats on the garmin gadget. I walk every morning around my neighborhood for 45 minutes, so now I'm curious as to how far I'm really going.

Terry said...

Gab...

pepper spray ~ check
one ear for audio~ check

Great minds think alike! And as for cleaning up, I also carry a one gallon bowl, a extra gallon of water and wash clothes for those times when I can't get to a shower.

Anne, Thanks for stopping by! I love John's Blog. He is incredibly humorous. I love my garmin!! I was surprised at how far I was NOT going, so the gps pushes me to go further!!

Terry said...

oops, I meant wash cloths.....I do my laundry at home!!! LOL