Oct 16, 2008

Guilty By Association

I wanted to post this before I forgot about it, even though it happened a few weeks ago. This particular incident left me with my jaw sitting on the floor as I could not believe what I had just witnessed..... You may not be amazed or even interested, but if left me feeling ashamed and bewildered, so I have to share.

A few weeks ago, my normal routine was slightly disrupted when a third driver took a NorthEast route and decided to tag along with the myself and my regular NE Trucking Buddy.
May be disrupted is not the appropriate word. It did not change anything other than having an additional person to converse with while heading towards New England. But it was different, because there was a third party involved, one who tells tales and spreads rumors.

There was only one eventful moment on the whole trip, one moment that made me want to pull over and hang my head in shame. One moment that left me with questions.

I work with a small group of drivers. Same trucks, same trailers, same uniforms. I like to think I am a good driver, a good representative of the company I work with. You all know how much I love my customers and tend to go out of my way to make sure their needs are met. I would only hope the other drivers would do the same. But let's face it. They don't. Some of them couldn't care less. My regular NE running partner is another one of the good guys. When he services my route, no one ever complains about him. They think he is just fine and dandy, too. We have the same type ethics relating to this job. It is not just about driving. We are both friendly, efficient and take extra measures to meet their needs.

Well, on this little excursion with the third party involved, I learned something that I did not ever want to know, at least not so close to "home" so to speak.

While heading through Virginia, I noticed traffic was slowing and shifting to the left. There was a service truck, tow truck and disabled vehicle on the right shoulder about a half mile up the road. Because the the guard rails, they were almost in the right lane. I commented to my companions about the scene in front of me. I slowed and merged into the left lane. My regular com padre does the same. Traffic is now down to about 30 mph as everyone is adjusting to let all vehicles merge to the left. The people are actually walking in the right lane to get around the vehicles, so I was proud that everyone, even the four wheelers were being so tolerant of this sudden traffic situation.

At this point, the third party in attendance of our personal parade remarks over the airwaves, " What are you doing, there is no blue lights so we don't have to get over!" At this point, he goes flying by in the right lane. The last thing I had noticed was the tow trucker driver standing in the travel lane trying to load the disabled vehicle. My co-worker was very close to the white line when he passed me doing at least 60mph. I just knew he was going to hit them. Then he hollers out, " come on, what are you waiting for" He was the ONLY vehicle who made the pass in the right lane, not even the cars would follow him.

We are still behind the disabled vehicles and in the left lane, but I was not about to jump back in to the right lane. I was speechless. How could someone I work with be so stupid and careless. He could have killed that guy. And whatever happened to safety and courtesy. I was absolutely amazed when his final remark over the airwaves was how he finally got around me and my regular companion....

I sat in the left lane until traffic regained momentum, and remained speechless for quite some time.

The worst part for myself personally, is that while there were three of us that day. Only two of us had the same style trailer, the second fellow (my buddy) had a van. So, my tractor and trailer were identical to that of the driver who had made the bad decision. You would not believe how many people gave me dirty looks and the comments that were made over the CB radio.

I work so hard to do a good job, and there I sat, guilty by association, hanging my head in shame.

And this guy has over 30 years experience.........*sigh*

Where was that guy with the video camera when a REAL unsafe manuever was being made.Probably editing more footage of me! Yes, I am still mad about that!!

5 comments:

Digital Fortress said...

Terrible when that one person at work makes everyone else look bad. Don’t get why he would do that when both the other drivers were courteous and safe enough to go with the rest of the flow of traffic. Hopefully one of you all pointed this out to him.

Terry said...

Actually, we did not say much to him the rest of the trip. I did not want to start an argument over this, as I am sure he would have been very defensive about his personal driving technique.

Kathy said...

It is idiots like him that give ALL truckers a bad name. People see one stupid truck driver pull something like that and then all truck drivers are looked upon in a negative way. I don't think I could have kept my mouth shut. You have more will power than I do.

Terry said...

Well, Kathy, I do not think it was so much will power as it was I was literally appalled and speechless. He saw no wrong doing in his actions and how do you make someone understand. You would have thought the fact that no one else would follow him would have been a clue.....not even the cars, and they are usually the first to jump lanes.

Anonymous said...

you should try driving for a big company that just hires to get 'butts in the seats'. some of the things i see drivers do at our company make me feel exactly like you do. just hang my head in shame.