Oct 4, 2008

I Just Don't Understand...

why some people just choose to be angry all the time. Angry about every little thing....

I personally don't let much affect me in a negative way. We all fuss at some point, and I do my share, I suppose. Ask my dispatch, they think I am always griping about something...Better check myself, because I don't feel like I am. And the things they think I am fussing about, are tiny little issues that I make snarky comments about. I am not happy about coming off this way to them. But I question how much of this is really me being whiny, because a few of the topics are seen in the reverse of what I would have said....

Take for instance, this week's routing.. It is mixed up in such a way, that I will do good to be unloaded by Wednesday. I had a frustrated look on my face and was asked what was wrong....

"This is all backwards, why would you do this?"

I was told that this is the way I had previously requested it, so they were trying to accommodate me. ??? Now I am confused. The person who regularly routes my trip has fallen into a pattern that works perfectly, unless an unusual delivery is added. Such as throwing a NJ delivery in the middle of my NYC drops.... Otherwise, it is a perfect route...It was changed this week, for my benefit. But it will add much more time and some miles to complete it this way. So it is definitely not benefiting me. The route planner (this week) swears that I requested this.

I think I would know....But, maybe I am becoming forgetful? I don't think I would deliberately request to sabotage my own load. And the Loading Supervisor agreed with me, that this route should not have been planned this way. Hopefully, I can work around it and delivery it in the manner I am accustomed too, but since the freight is loaded backwards, that could be a huge obstacle for me....

They felt like I was complaining about nothing and I would be home as always, by Wednesday night. I hope so!!

But I digress.....

My intended topic featured the antics of Mr. T. He occasionally chooses a NorthEastern run, which results in my preferred route being taken away from me. He was "banned" from running Florida a while back for causing a major scene with some of our Sunshine State Customers.

Now, he has done it again. But this time it does benefit me. He caused a scene at one of our PA customers and will not be going back. That means my run is safe, unless he decides to head into NYC, which is unlikely.

At the beginning of the week, I meet him at the plant and had noticed that the pick-ups he was supposed to make had been added to my route, instead of his. So, I casually mentioned that he might want to make sure he had long pants with him, as he might be sent into Ravenswood to pick up, because I had his pick ups on my load. This was a slight jab at him, but I meant nothing by it. A few weeks ago, he was sent into Ravenswood for a pick-up. He was wearing shorts! Strictly against policy at this customer. He was told he couldn't load until he changed his clothing. He requested that OUR company be responsible for purchasing him some jeans, since it was a customer demand.....How Stupid!! Of course he was denied the reimbursement, and he magically found some long pants in his truck...This has been policy for years and he knew it before he ever went in there.......

So, I jabbed.....He then starts ranting and raving about unfair policies and practices and just kicks up a bunch of dust about nothing at all.

BUT, he then tells dispatch that I am angry about the pick-ups. I am not sure to what degree he elevated my anger in his portrayal to them, but supposedly I was absolutely livid.

The pick-ups did not bother me at all....I gained a few miles, some stop pay, and didn't have to wait. Why would I complain about that?

I just don't understand why he is sooooo angry. But then to look at the beginning of this post, I guess I could come off that way too.

Yeah, I think I better check myself. I thought I was making suggestive comments, but could it really be perceived as anger and bitching.................. The guys in the office make me feel that way.

I think from now on, I will keep all comments to myself. ALL COMMENTS.....because the ones I thought were harmless, apparently are not.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

There are a lot of angry people where I work, too. Angry customers and angry associates. I try really hard not to become one of them. Sometimes I fail...

Kathy said...

When I was out on the road with hubby going over the road I always noticed that there were A LOT of drivers on the CB that all they did was complain. Complain about other drivers (4 wheelers and truck drivers), complain about their pick ups, complain about where they had to unload, complain about their route, always complaining about something. And if they weren't complaining they were trying to pick a fight over the CB.

One thing I also noticed was you heard more of this around big cities but when you got out in the wide open country you didn't hear the complaining near as much.

I think if a person complains a lot, they must not be happy with life in general. They never take time to notice the wonderful things about life that there are out there, never take the time to "stop and smell the roses".

I hope you have time to enjoy the rest of the weekend and that you have a good week at work.

Digital Fortress said...

Life it too short to be complaining all the damn time. Suck it up and move along or take an action to change your situation, but whining and complaining about something rarely makes a difference. ;)

Terry said...

Hey Kathy... You are so right. There is way too much complaining out on the road. I just think they are miserable people and they should change their circumstances. I might make remarks to the personnel at the plant, but I do not ever complain about my route or job while out on the road. I love my job,I love my route, I love my customers. People think I am crazy for loving the NYC traffic like I do, but it suits me and I chide other drivers when they complain about it. And even with all the pitfalls that I may incur, I still have a good week, just about every week.

DF, I think all the whining and complaining is just a loud plea for attention. Angry people frustrate me, because IT IS so much easier to "suck it up" and be happy, than to maintain a negative attitude all the time.