Jul 10, 2008

Trucking Updates

and other assorted tidbits.......

I had another exceptionally wonderful week... No traffic delays for me, but I was a witness to multiple back-ups and delays for those motoring in the opposite direction. It was a quick week, almost back to my normal routine, with the exception of fewer stops. I was able to maintain my four day schedule.

This 61 mph is driving me bonkers........ I am arriving home is poor condition. My muscles ache and tension has set up a permanent residence in my shoulders and neck. How does this happen?? It is just a slow truck, but for some reason, it absolutely wears me out trying to keep up with my previous pace.

Some bad news (for me)..... The Alum Co is talking about moving a few of the dies to another plant because we can't seem to get them delivered in an acceptable condition. The Customer Service Rep blamed me and the other New England driver... You see, we are constantly having our trailers reloaded at various customers to make for a more efficient delivery schedule. We never use the guys who are rough with the product. If a forklift driver is careless, he excludes himself from us ever using his services again. The Consignee whose product is getting damaged, clearly stated that the damages were in no way the result of reloading.. His product is placed on the nose of the trailer and is only moved ONE TIME... for delivery. I appreciate the fact that he stood up for us!!! Yet another reason I love my customers.... We have such a great relationship!!

It did make me slightly perturbed that the CSR quickly threw me under the bus. So, the dies are set to be moved (possibly) and that means I will lose this point of delivery... It is actually my best Massachusetts customer (but don't tell the others) The Owner takes me home with him for dinner and conversation with the Mrs... He let me borrow his pick-up to go see Plymouth Rock!!! He unloads me well after business hours to help me get home quicker.. I don't want to lose him!!!!!! Oh, did I mention that the rest of his staff are incredible as well...

In other news......

The Employer is reassessing the decision to have our Trucks governed. The Boss put in a request last week, giving multiply reasons why the 61 mph hour governor is just not working for us. Missed appointments, increased layover time, trucks malfunctioning due to lower highway speeds. The plant actually has had to send dock workers home twice because there were no available empty trailers to load. Why, because the drivers can't make the normal delivery schedule. He received a reply asking for more facts and statistics.... This week he submitted myself and two other drivers to be analyzed for the sake of proving our dilemma. YIKES!! Oh well, it is for a good cause. Cross your fingers, because I have already decided that if a transfer is not possible AND they do not remove the 61 mph hour restriction, I will be forced to find a new job!

And speaking of transfers.....

Last month my Boss made the formal request for my transfer. The location I desire responded that there are and will be no positions available anytime soon. Then my Boss asked if there was any immediate openings, as I was requesting a move in October. Once again, the answer was NO. HUH??? I just read the company newsletter and it seems that the desired location just hired a NEW driver.... WTF?!

If I didn't love my route sooooooo much, I would most likely already be gone. And the other New England driver (the one who keeps me sane on the long trip northeast on Sundays) well, he is looking for a new job as well.....

5 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

Sounds like God is trying to tell you something. Maybe it is time for a move. I know you like your customers and hope things work out for you there but if not, Bama's calling.
Mama Bear

Unknown said...

Ugh, I'm convinced that most CSRs are the spawn of the devil, it's always easiest to blame the driver rather than take the appropriate action of correcting the problem. That sucks about the transfer (or lack of). Do you think the problem is that you're female or is it more them just wanting to hire their friends or old white guys?

I passed (slowly) an AAA cooper pulling doubles on 40 in TN this past week and thought of you. Hopefully they'll turn y'alls trucks back up.

Gab

Terry said...

Mama Bear, I think you missed the part where Cooper said that there were no transfers available at all to that area... So that makes things more difficult for me. I either have to wait it out or start new at a comletely different company and lose all of my accrued benefits. If they keep the governor, my decision is already made.

Hey Gab,
You know, prejudice against females did not even cross my mind. Something to think about, I guess. I sincerely hope not, just thought it was ironic that someone was indeed hired new the same month I requested my transfer, but the request was for October, so it could have honestly been bad timing on my part.

And don't tell the other Cooper drivers, it is only our account that is reassessing the situation. The rest of them old white guys will remain at 62. ha ha h ah aha ha hahahha.....

Unknown said...

Unfortunately in this day there are still way too many people that think we don't belong out here as solo drivers esp. since we're not close to retirement age. Hubby has 2 friends I hear that b.s. from nearly everyday, they think he's crazy for "allowing" me to drive a separate truck. It seems sometimes that no matter how many excellent recommendations or referrals you get some people have to be shown directly that you can handle the job.

One of my fave compliments came from the Pulaski plant when a driver came in refusing to slide his tandems and they told him he should be ashamed and that if I could do it as little as I am that he should be able to. Evidently he didn't give 'em any argument after that.

Terry said...

I love it.... All of my co-workers are given tons of grief when they cannot back into a spot.

"The little girl does it with no problem."

I think some of them resent me for it!