Jun 5, 2008

Are We There Yet?

I keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, or perhaps a silver lining. But I can't see it yet. I know it is out there, but it just seems anytime I try to do anything, I am knocked on me arse.

I had been debating on making the move back to Bama. At first, I was undecided. After some time, I had made up my mind, but still felt much anxiety over the decision.

Recently, I have become quite excited over the changes that will take place when I make the move. October is the target month.

The biggest fear I have been dealing with is that the New England route is my comfort zone. I have so many great customers up there. The route is easy (if you can get over driving in NYC) and the miles are good. It has become my second home. My brother mentioned to me that I will have great customers anywhere I go, because there are great people everywhere.... But still, it has made me leery.

The last two weeks of May proved to me that he was right. I ran some southern routes and had a good time getting acquainted with the "new" (to me) customers. But they were all splendid! It was also nice to be home more during those two weeks. In fact , I did not miss New England at all, just the pay check.

Which is something else that I have been fearing. I do not want to take a pay cut. It is hard enough on a single income, and with gas prices in the ludicrous range.. sheeesh! So,I spoke with a driver out of the Chattanooga yard, and he gave me a ball park estimate on his salary. Turns out, I might make a buck or two more! and the freight will be a little bit more stable.

Next on the list, which will make it even easier to head back to Bama, is the confirmed rumor that our trucks will be turned down to 62 mph..... I know that they think this will help with fuel economy, but at such a slow rate of speed, the truck is being suffocated. I already cannot climb a hill, even now at 67.... My current fuel rate is 6.8 mpg... I am curious to see what happens when they cut me back. But it is not the fuel economy that has me concerned. I just cannot see driving to Massachusetts at 62 miles per hour... That adds a few hours to my trip, but the frustration of always being in the way would cause me to explode. Come on, 67 is already hard on my nerves!

And if you are paying attention, you are probably wondering to yourself, " If you transfer, won't you still be in a 62 mph truck?"

YES, but 62 in the city is a whole heckuva lot less stressful than 62 on a 70 mph interstate!!

Also, having the fluffy kitten hanging around those two weeks has awakened my desire to have a pet of my own! Yeah, my SIL wants me to get a dog, so she can play with it, but I want one for my own selfish reasons!! I need the companionship!! Also, I am excited about strengthening the relationships I have with my niece and nephew!!! :)

So, I was gonna put in the official request to transfer this week, but my boss is on his honeymoon and won't be back until next week. He is going to be sooooo upset with me, but a girl has got to do, what a girl has got to do! Besides, I told everyone I would come off the road by the age of 35. Missed that deadline, because I enjoy my New England route that much.

Yeah, I think it is definitely time for a change. And I know it will be good for me! But the way everything keeps smacking me in the face,I am now becoming concerned with whether I will be able to afford the move. Not in the long run, but the actual moving costs....See, there was the insurance issues, which I had to pay out due to mis-communication, both medical and dental! And the radio issues cost me a total of $400. Now, gas prices! It will be hard, but worth it in the long run, right? I can live on Ramen Noodles for a few months, I guess. I am trying to hoard every single penny I can get my hands on, but costly things keep popping up! Dammit!!

Oh well, at least the future looks bright, if I can just hold on until then.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think moving will be a wonderful thing for you. you been so excited for so long. it's always tough moving, especially financially, but it will be worth it in the end. just think of the adorable pet you will get to have waiting for you at home every single day! and you'll be so much closer to your family, which i know is important to you. and don't worry about your boss. like you said, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! :-) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Go for it!!!

Sally said...

with all your trucking connections, couldn't you find an empty trailer, load up your stuff and drive it to Bama yourself? for just the gas cost? =)

Unknown said...

Hey, the niece, nephew, and the prospect of a new puppy (or kitten) is worth the ramen noodles!! Your brother is right about the great people/customers but I think that's due to your awesome attitude as much as anything else. Our trucks are being cut back also, they're calling it recalibrating. Yeah, just a fancy word for can't get my a** out of anybody's way.

Oh, I use a Garmin Forerunner 201 for my walks and runs. It's reasonably cheap, keeps a signal most of the time but doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the 305or 405 models. If you don't mind not having the heart rate monitor the 205 is much better at keeping a signal.

Terry said...

Shell, I really am excited.. I think it is time for a change, and at least it is not a drastic one like I have been known to make in the past.

Siz, what happened to your summer blogger road trip?? Haven't heard anything.

That is a sweet idea Sally, but I don't think they will be willing to let me "borrow a truck" for 2-3 days.... I will have to check on that.

Gabrielle, yeah, I think my attitude plays a big role in it too! And recalibration sux!! Thanks for the heads-up on the Garmin.. I will have to look into that!!

Mike said...

I say throw all of Rick's crap in the yard and move into that Palace of an unfinished game room over garage bays 4 and 5.

And bring a dog AND A cat, just to tick Rick off!

Terry said...

Yeah, they told me I could use the garage apartment, but I would have to finish it first.... Right, I can just see living in a room FULL of truck parts.

Rick said...

Rust truck parts.

Terry said...

Oh well, It least it would already be decorated in a vintage style....