Jan 27, 2012

Once, Twice, Three times a Freighthauler...

I have never been one to submerge myself in the lifestyle of an OTR truck driver. The idea of living in truck stops over the weekend and grilling out over my drive tires has never appealed to me either. Thankfully, once again, I have dodged that bullet with car hauling. You will only see me cruising through the truck stop for fuel and on a very rare occasion, perhaps for some food.

I guess I should explain that a good portion of my appreciation is based on the fact that the stereotypes of a truck driver are very real and can be found about one foot behind the steering wheel of many idling tractor trailers. And, well, I just have very little tolerance for stupidity.

Last week, I found myself lacking motivation for the long day's drive and thought it would be a good idea to park for a bit and take care of a few items on my "To Do" list. One of my speakers wasn't working, the windshield needed to be cleaned... So I start about my tasks and while I was sprawled out over my hood, a noticed a truck slowly easing by. Just a few minutes later, the same truck passed again. Third time around the lot, he decides to park directly across from me. There were possibly 100 open spots, but for whatever reason, it took this driver three laps to determine this was the perfect spot. Starting to feel a little like Tawny Kitaen in a Whitesnake video, I finished my task and climbed back inside the cab for a few more private chores. It didn't take Mr Truck Driver about 5 minutes to decide he no longer liked his parking spot, so he pulls out and circles the lot again. This time, he ends up beside me. I noticed him sitting.... Just sitting and staring... And staring some more.

What the hell? I am not sure what it is about driving a truck that cause some people to lose all sense of self respect or common decency, but you hear it most often on the CB radio. I am sure most of these idiots do not go home and behave in this manner when with friends and family. I have never noticed a nine to fiver changing his location in the Home Depot parking lot just to get a better view of the women buying plants for their summer gardens. But for whatever reason, a lot of truckers tend to forget how to behave in public. This guy was no exception.

I was very tempted to go give him a piece of my mind, but I think he might have liked the attention. So, I cut my break short and as I was headed out of the parking lot, I thought how funny it would be if this jackass had moved his truck again after I left.

He did.

You have to love it when they are so predictable. Thankfully, I am only amused by these idiots when I choose to be. Yes, it is back to the motel for me!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Manny said...

Doesn't sound like your average "little trucker fan" but more like a truck stop version of a peeping tom. Lucky this dude didn't follow you while you're on the road.

Chuck T. said...

"Tawny Kitean in a Whitesnake video"...now if you had been sprawled out on the hood of a Jaguar that might have warranted a second trip around the lot for another look. I think the carhaul biz will suit you if you don't want to have to deal with the stupidity element of the normal in trucking, it allows the oppoutunity to insulate ones self from the low brow. I, like you, have zero tolerance for the inane and uneducated bable that you get from most in that environment. I like to think of myself as educated, so I find it almost frustrating at times trying to have a conversation with some, so I just avoid conversation when possible. I may come off as rude or maybe worse, but I like it that way. Oh, and that Whitesnake reference, nice...although now you have dated yourself. I can picture the video in my head, 1986-87ish I think, ah, the days of the "real" MTV. The funny thing is, I was a few years into hauling cars in those days, uh huh, I'm that old.

BRUCE said...

D.R.F.S.R.

Terry said...

He actually pulled out behind me Manny, but I had more acceleration power :)

Chuck, I happen to be quite sociable and that actually works great with porters and salesman, of course being female doesn't hurt at all in this side of the industry. I am quick to exit a situation if someone shows ignorance or just plain stupidity. My tolerance wears thin quickly and I have a hard time hiding it.... As for Tawny, I was still in high school. But for what is it worth, I think I am still 26 until I look in the mirror. Pushing 40, where does the time go?

I AM WORKING ON IT BRUCE!!!!!!!!!

Shadow said...

I bought my first Jaguar because of that video…….where has the time gone??