Jan 8, 2012

Days Inn, Albany New York

One of possibly the most insignificant details in my new car-hauling adventure, that can cause a slightly less insignificant amount of anxiety in my day to day routine is finding a motel that can accommodate my truck without damaging my cars. I have mentioned before that I am now, more than ever, aware of low hanging trees and tall (or even standard) curbing. So even if a truck CAN fit, it doesn't always mean that I can fit.

I try to pick my destination early enough in the day so that I can call ahead to verify whether there is actually truck parking and secure a reservation. I know it will happen eventually, arriving at the end of my day with no where to park. Thanks to the GPS tracking in my truck, I don't exactly have the free reign that I use to with the flatbed. In fact, there was the time in Virginia Beach when I may have over extended myself by several hours in order to find a suitable bed for the night. Not sure if I even blogged about that one.


After dropping a few units off just south of Albany, I made my way to a local Days Inn. I made the appropriate phone call and was told there was plenty of truck parking. After arriving at the address, I was concerned before ever pulling into the driveway. I called again, while sitting in the turn lane to ask specifically where I was to park. The lot was barely big enough to get into, but after checking in with the front desk, I began to make the journey out behind the second building "where all the trucks park with plenty of room to turn around".

 After dodging a few low hanging pines, I begin to feel confident as the driveway opened up behind the next building. I could see signs of this parking area. But when I made the final approach, I was dismayed to find the lot itself was only about 60' wide. I could see tire tracks, where perhaps a daycab had made the jack-knife turnaround. But there was no way in hell I was going to get out of that lot. Even empty, my truck while not turn in a 45 degree angle no matter how hard I try.


So, the only thing left to do is start backing up. It only took me about 45 minutes to get back out from behind the building. All the while dodging the vehicles belonging to the patrons of the little Mexican dive out in front. Once I managed to back through the lot, I then had to back out into the highway while blocking traffic and waving at the local residents who apparently did not appreciate my plight. After the 45 minutes of anger induced ranting, because I had already checked in to the room, I then had to back back into the parking lot and make my own parking spot. I was quick to inform the lady at the desk that if another driver called to ask for parking, the correct answer would be "NO".

All in a days work, but I would prefer to eliminate these little unnecessary moments of frustration if I could. I still have so much to learn and would prefer to focus my attention on the truck itself. I spent 7 hours focusing on it just recently in Corry, Pa. But that is another post...

3 comments:

Jeffro said...

Some motels think that if a pickup pulling a lone four wheeler or lawn mower can park there, that automatically means truck parking. I also use Google Maps satellite view just check as well.

I've let more than one desk clerk and manager know my displeasure at their promoting something they do NOT have.

Manuel said...

I've seen some car-haulers leave their trailers, always empty at a truck stop, then drive the tractor to a hotel and park. But I've noticed all the hydraulic hoses besides the air lines and electrical line to disconnect between the trailer and tractor and that'll take some time. So I guess it's better to park the whole rig in a large enough parking area.

Terry said...

Jeffro.. Oh Google maps might be the answer. I use Google Earth when I have wifi.

Manuel... I find dropping the trailer to be a complete hassle. Besides all the lines and hoses, I need a level spot that is the perfect height because I have no air dump valve. So I try to avoid that unless putting it in a shop, and half the time, the shops wont make me drop it then either :) There are plenty of decent motels with adequate parking, but it just sucks when you are out of time and relying on someone's word that your chosen one will work.