Jan 9, 2012

Corry, Pa

I have been offered several loads in the past few months that would test my merit and challenge me. I was nervous, of course, but still eager to try to get them loaded. One load involved a F350 dually. I cannot remember what the other one involved. But with enough units and a quick loader trailer, the challenge can get pretty intense. For those of you unfamiliar with car-haulers, independent decks, drops pockets and sliding decks offer a tremendous advantage over my trailer. My top deck of the trailer is one piece, so if the vehicles are too long to fit, they are just too long. Split decking can also help with height and angles, but once again... no decks to split load on.

Last week, I was told to head to Corry, Pa, located just southeast of Erie. My load was 5 Chevy 1500s. I was told that if I could fit a 6th unit on the load to go for it. I immediately replied that if it could be done, I would do it! I was ecstatic!

After trudging through the back roads in the remnants of an earlier lake affect snowstorm, I found my dealer and set about my task. I was attempting to load 3 Extended Cabs and 3 Crew Cabs. I had hope in my eye, when I got the trucks placed, but I ran into a little problem. 14'2" !!! There were 2 things holding me back from successfully stacking the tractor. 1) the lower truck was too long to fit in the drop pockets over my drive tires, and 2) my #3 cylinder is fully extended. Had I been able to raise it higher, I could have dropped the bed of the truck and placed the crown of the windshield at a better angle for the height. As is, I couldn't drop the the second truck any lower because the windshield of the lower truck was in the way. With only 2 on the tractor, I would now have to try and squeeze 4 of them on the trailer. I called the previous driver of this truck and asked if it could be done. He said yes, and told me the positioning. I replicated his instructions, but decided that his configuration was all wrong.

Now with a little more experience, I would have known better to begin with. But, I have been so busy shoving cars on and delivering, that I have not paid a lot of attention to the actual potential of my trailer. Shame on me!! It is definitely time to get familiar with my truck. I am sure several of you can tell me what is wrong with this picture....

Wait for it

Yup, you guessed it. The top units should have been turned so that the beds were bumper to bumper, therefore creating the angles I needed with the windshields. It may not have worked anyways, but that is one of the few tricks I did not employ. And believe me, I tried everything I could think of at the time. Including chaining to the frame to suck down the suspension of the rear of the top. Just could not quit get it down. After 7 hours of playing with this load, I decided to throw in the white flag. My original load was 5 units, so I knew I was still good to go. But, damn it, I wanted that 6th unit. Just to get a little ego boost, I suppose. After speaking with my mentor and one of the higher ups, it was told that the odds of me getting that load to fit were slim to none with the quick loader. Not because of my lack of skill, but simply because of the lack on independent decks and appropriately placed drop pockets. Now, I am really eager to get a huge load..... But first, this one had to be delivered to Burgaw, NC.

Getting there was no problem, but getting back to South Carolina was a different story....

11 comments:

The Boston Trucker said...

This is your year Terry!
I'm impressed you can get those pickups on that thing, you got bigger ballz then me! I need to read your blog more often, great read, I felt I was there with you except I'm under a warm blanket. Keep up the great work Terry and I'm sure you will be as close to an expert in no time.

Anonymous said...

One may look at the challenge of the truck as the "experience", this may be true. I see this event as the test of "qualification". Many will enter into this field and claim they have the skills to "do" the job. Yes they may or may not, but anyone can also "hold" a steering wheel.
When someone can jump feet first into a totally different environment and have the ability to criticize and judge their accomplishments, well this speaks to what makes a good "car hauler". Anyone can "park" a car on a deck, it takes a special eye to "see" how the puzzle works. Granted this isn't Rocket Science, but the eye to attention and principle is what sets the "Attendants" from the "Pros".
When you can fight a load for the better part of the day, in the attempt at gaining knowledge, that shows that you are going to be a Great Car Hauler.
I am quite sure that you are going to prosper and flourish in this new chapter of your life.
Someone has passed the "tie-down" bar to you and expects you to hold it high and with honor !
Just remember , you can't be "seasoned" without the experience. Also, those drop pockets............

transportfool said...

The volvo I used to drive was a bit different than your rig but the way I got three trucks on the headrack was to drive the the truck in behind the cab forwards. The required me to raise the front of the truck in the #1 positon a bit but facing in forward made the drop pockets over the drive axles usable. The the truck in the #2 position had to be parked right at the front of the deck so that I could drop the deck down behind the cab of the truck under it. The usually left a gap between #1 and #2 but if you are just putting two units on the top of the quick loader then the top of it can be retracted to make the gap OK.

Shadow said...

I always wondered what it takes to load one of these never could have imagined all the details involved.

Alex Marinov said...

Loading 5 large trucks is impressive nonetheless. Believe it or not I had one car carrier that was able to fit 6 Ford F-150 Raptors, those are about 7" wider than a regular truck and a bit higher, although I believe they were the extended and not quad-cab models. Not sure what trailer he used, but unfortunately he did scratch a few wheels.

Manuel said...

Well, five out of six pickups isn't bad. But you're right; too bad the trailer doesn't have multiple seperating ramps to load each vehicle at a certain spacing design.

Terry said...

Thanks Mike, I am definitely enjoying the learning curve! Glad you enjoyed the read :)

Anonymous, I sincerely appreciate the kind words and vote of confidence.. I expect many more challenges and the gained knowledge that comes with each.

Transport Fool, I also had one other person suggest driving the truck in behind the cab. I felt like I could have got it to fit (based on my picture) except my #3 cyclinder would not raise the front of the #2 position any higher. Thought I would have been able to use the windshield to get that height down. However, it was a good experience and one I hope to be challenged with again soon!

Shadow, I was terrifed the first time I put a unit over the hood, but if you read the previous comments.. "anyone can park a car on a deck", that is probably the easiest part of the job. There are many details to pay attention to and I love the mental stimulation :)

Thanks Alex!!! I dont know that I would have even attempted it had they been Fords. With the Chevys been a bit smaller, I was damn sure going to try! Next time I will try harder :)

Manuel, they have offered me a highrail set-up with all the moving decks I could ever need, plus pockets and flippers and all sorts of problem solving spaces. I told the boss that I wanted to get through my first winter with the quickloader before I swapped trucks. He said I was just being a sissy!! Who knows, I may grab that high rail sooner than expected !

TruckerJobs said...

Thanks for a cool blog.. Glad to you embracing a new move as a trucker! Car hauling is exciting and pay very good money! Wish you luck on your voyage.

Jorden K said...

Life can be tough with a quick loader but its a good way to start. Soon you will be stepping up into the big leagues. This is my company-check out some of our pictures;

Driving on the east coast is very tough. I have the utmost respect for anyone going in or out of NYC. Props to you!

Terry said...

I have mixed emotions about the quick loader, Jordan. It is quick, when loading the same product line over and over, and the challenges are great for my over active mind. I love to figure things out!! But with, yes, the limited versatility definitely holds me back. I will admit, I was a little intimidated by NYC the first few times I crossed the bridge. But after a decade of getting down in the secondary streets it is just another day at the park for me. Well, except that I am now looking for low tree branches :)

I did not see a link to your company, but I would love to check out the pictures.

Banker said...

Terry, It's great to see such a hard worker as yourself and I really enjoy your blogs! I haul Chevy and GMC pick-ups out of Ft. Wayne on occasion. I can haul 7, one unit has to be a regular cab backed behind the cab. Also these are extended cabs and not crew cabs. The #4 spot on top rear of trailer has been modified so that after loading the #4 unit, the skids are slid out about 6 inches to allow the deck to drop below the mirrors on #7 unit. If more than one unit is a 2500, then due to wt I can only haul 6. With a chopped cab and 19.5 tires I can usually get 13'6 or there about. Without a modified #4 deck or a regular cab for behind the cab I think you did good to get 5. Keep the blogs coming and stay safe! Banker