Feb 1, 2012

Dragging Ass

It was bound to happen...

Saturday evening I was delivering the last of my cars in Chattanooga. Everything just seemed to fall into place for me that day, and I do mean everything. I left the dealership and headed south on I-75. After a few miles, a car flashed his lights at me, but then quickly changed lanes behind me and exited the freeway. Not thinking much about it because a lot of motorists flash their lights for different reasons, I continued onward. Being empty, I was able to climb the hills pretty quickly and was passing the slower heavy trucks with ease. About 5 miles later, another car eases up my left side flashing his high beams. He catches up to me and is blowing the horn too. He then merges into the lane in front of me and engages the four way flashers as he begins to slow. Of course, by now, I realize something is amiss. He slows me to about 40mph and we ease off onto the shoulder. There was a guard rail immediately to my right and with very little room for comfort, I was hoping he would pull forward to the end of the guardrail. He didn't. He jumps out of his car and runs back to my truck. He is an older Korean man who does not speak a word of English, but his gestures were frantic. He is standing in the right lane ( due to the guard rail, I am sitting on the white line) trying to communicate with me when I noticed the truck blazing a trail directly at him. I throw open the door and grab him by the shirt and pull him to the truck just as the truck roars by within inches of us...

This absolutely pissed me off beyond all means of reason. There were no other vehicles to the left of this truck. I had my four ways on, so I was not invisible. That idiot should have at least made an attempt to give my truck some room. There was no reason for him to be that close. There was no other vehicles anywhere near him at all. He could have easily moved left!!! And to add fuel to the fire, the CB comes to life with "fuck, there are people standing in the road" I am sure the flashing car-hauler on the shoulder gave no indication that there might be human life form close by. I would never have taken that chance, standing in the road like that, but the man was doing a good deed and getting squished was probably not even on his mind. The look on his face when I grabbed him...

Oh sure, it was nice for someone to finally speak up and alert the crowd, but where was all the chatter for the last 15 miles when I was dragging my ramp down the highway throwing sparks, I am sure.

Why did it take 2 motorists in cars to alert me to the fact that I was dragging a ramp. I passed over a dozen trucks and not a single word. It was not until after the fact, that someone mentioned the car-hauler who was throwing sparks. By this time, I had been parked for a minute or two, so obviously that comment came from someone I had previously passed.

I am very grateful that this gentlemen took it upon himself to get my attention. He had no idea who he was getting involved with. But it almost cost him his life. I am not sure how I would have reacted, had he been killed and thankfully I don't have to deal with that nightmare. But, I am just about fed up with the new school of truckers. In my opinion, the industry is full of £&@¥^#€ morons!!!! Don't get me wrong, there are some great people in trucks, but they are fewer and further between.

6 comments:

Jeffro said...

None of them seem to realize that the two way communication box can be used for good.

WV: mater - honest, it is! I don't care who you are, that right there is funny.

Bruce said...

I know you have a picture to further illustrate this most unsafe of situations

Anonymous said...

Dam T, i have noticed with in the past 5 years, trucking aint what it used to be....i don't know exactly what happened to the brotherhood but we sure don't look out one another anymore...sad very sad...sorry bout that, no one want to communicate on the CB until it's bad and things start to plug up traffic!, glad that your safe and it wasn't a huge mess or someone got hurt!
GCGB

Anonymous said...

Been there done that Terry!

M.J. said...

I had the misfountune of having somebody in a BMW wave me down, then pulling in front of me and slow completely from 65 mph to almost 20 mph in seconds. At first, I thought he was messing with me so I pulled around him and continued on my way. A minute later, he does it again. I asked my co-worker in the passenger seat what's this guy doing, then in the mirror I noticed my side box under the dump truck has opened, slipping my chains. I pulled over, thinking it was the cause and to thank the motorist fro warning. But that wasn't the case. This guy gets out out, with a digital camera began taking photos of my company logos, USDOT numbers, license plates on the dump truck and trailer I'm towing while my co-worker and I are putting the chains back into the side box. Then I realized he's taking photos shot of the bed of the trailer; there's some small granulets, little stones and rocks the size of raisins stuck in the wood. I ask him what's going and the whole time he's doing this nevers utters a word or sentence towards me. He leaves and so do I.
At least the guy warning you about your ramps cared enough to let you know and I bet he's thankful you got him out of harm's way.

Maeson Coffin said...

I wish people were a lot more friendly and I have no clue what has happened the only thing that is changing is time. People do not have to change with it also. These kinds of people dont put themselves in others shoes, but when there in the shoes you were in they get all ticked off cause no one told them something was wrong. I mean really I'm 15 years old and even I know the Communication box is not just to see if theres bears around.