Jul 26, 2010

The Long Road Ahead

So I took Seabiscuit out for a "getting to know you" trot up in New England last week. I know, New England, right...


Or maybe you didn't know. I have not been to the North East in over 2 months.

Seabiscuit is the spare truck I took into the mid-west a few weeks ago, the one with the leaking coolant sensor. The one that put me on the side of the Interstate last Sunday. Because I do not hardly ever trust the Stooges diagnosis, I was prepared for the worst. After "repairing" the leaking fill cap, I managed to make my round of deliveries and decided to take some extra time off in Connecticut.

Okay, I didn't just decide, it was actually planned out in advance. You see, I have spent a great deal of time casually running into my favorite bedbugger (that would be a household mover, for those not in the know). And really, it was not too casually either. Well planned, in advance, "Fancy meeting you here, giggle~giggle" kind of casual.

So back to relaxing in Connecticut... I arrived early, and he was destined to show up mid-afternoon. After enjoying dinner and spending some time playing games with his 10yr old son, I decided it was time to hit the dusty trail. I had been keeping an eye on the coolant levels, but after the cap repair, it seemed all was well. That is until I decided to leave. We noticed a large puddle under the truck and sure enough, another leak had sprung. This time it was the line flowing from the reservoir to the radiator. The clip which holds it in place had stretched and was allowing a steady stream to poor from the innards of Seabiscuit. Grrrrrr !! I had already stayed longer than I should, but my Knight in Shining Chrome grabbed some supplies, climbed under the hood and made emergency repairs to get me safely home... Swoon !! You just have to love Zip Ties.

Upon arrival back at the ranch, I promptly wrote up that the sensor was still leaking....

Errr, um, I wrote up the real issues and was pleasantly surprised to find both repairs were made, 2 other repairs were acknowledged and there was even a promise of replacing some of the surface damages.

Maybe I should cut the mechanics some slack? Not in a minute.. I think the only reason the repairs were made is because I was able to pinpoint the exact problem and request the parts on my own.

Next week, I will tackle an air leak, seal leak, and the APU.


6 comments:

John II said...

So far, so good.

Anonymous said...

with all the problems with the trucks and lack of service why do you not leave?

Yellow Snow said...

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... I guess she'd miss "The Mayor" too much.

Terry said...

Okay, so to list all the good qualities, perks and reasons why I love my job would sound as if I am bragging..So let's just say the mechanics are only 5%.... Would you leave a job that was 95% perfect for you?

Yellow Snow said...

Nope.

Anonymous said...

Nope