Aug 17, 2010

It's All in the Timing

Yes, I am a truck driver. Yes, I do my fair share of complaining about certain things that occur in my day, career, life, etc....


One of the things I do not understand about other drivers, is the constant need to complain about traffic conditions, congestion in certain areas of the country, weather and accident delays. Really? How long have you been driving, Driver?

So you can imagine my delight when I am able to scoot through certain areas with minimal or no delays, just because I know a few tricks of the trade. For example...New York City, one of the most dreaded locations for a driver to be sent into. No problem for me, because I am usually going against the grain, I have secondary shortcuts and as a rule, I never take the EXPRESS LANES to the George Washington Bridge on a Sunday Night. Don't let that word EXPRESS fool you. And if I do get caught up in a major delay, well, it is to be expected.

Atlanta is another fabled area of major turmoil. I have heard all the stories... Oh, that city is always backed up... There is no good time to go through. The people drive like idiots. It is a freaking nightmare... Blah, blah, blah. Hey folks, I live near Atlanta and the rumors are not true, but I don't think I will ever be able to convince anyone else of that.

Atlanta, just like any other major city has its own flow. Yes, if you enter the perimeter after 6:30am, you will notice congestion starting to build, but that normally dissipates after 9:30. Lets call it Rush Hour. And surprisingly, 4:00pm to 7:00pm is fairly similar. As for the rest of the day, it moves reasonably well. Also, another tip to consider, the south side always moves much better than the northern stretch of the loop. Just sayin...

So, last Wednesday, I am flying south on 85, heading into Atlanta during Rush Hour. As, I approach Spaghetti Junction, I scan the horizon and what to my wondering eyes should appear... Traffic is at a dead stop in all directions on the Perimeter. Time to make a quick decision. Top Side, oh hell no!! Bottom Side, not looking too good either at the moment. So what do I do at 4:19 pm?

I slide left one lane and make the executive decision to shoot through the Middle of Town. I know, I know. All Thru Trucks Must Use 285. I have seen the sign a million times and from experience, I know that if I stay to the right and don't exceed the flow of traffic, I will be just fine. My only concern is that going downtown is one of those nightmares, drivers commonly refer too. The Grady Curve usually backs up and The Connector is always crawling during rush hour, but after weighing the odds, I had decided to chance it anyways. This based on the fact that 285 East should not be stopped so far north, I am thinking there must be an accident ahead.

It is 28 miles around the southern end of the loop to my exit. Even further around the top at 33 miles. Through the middle, it is only 26 miles, but is notorious for the worst in traffic snafus during Rush Hour.


Looks like my gut instinct was right !!


It only took me 25 minutes to go straight through town !!

After reemerging at the bottom end of the perimeter, I heard numerous complaints about travel times being an hour plus for the 28 mile route I normally take. What did you expect at Rush Hour? Sometimes, you just have to go with your gut, and once again, mine paid off for me! Woohoo !!

And as an added Bonus, just thought I would throw this at you. Heading into New York via the George Washington Bridge on a Monday morning at 6:00 am.... See folks, it is not as bad as people make it out to be !!

6 comments:

Jeffro said...

When we're outbound and oversized - we got no choice. Most of the major metros have curfews when we're not allowed - usually 6am to 9am, and 3:30pm to 6pm - plus or minus a half hour or so. And our routes have been chosen for us.

Most of the 'burgs I drive thru - well, there ain't much choice if traffic is backed up. In Denver - if eastbound 70 is backed up, chances are 76 to 270 and back to 70 will be worse. DFW? 35E or 35W get backed up any time of the day. 35W between 20 and 30 is always snarled up. 70 west out of St. Louis is generally pretty packed. I've only been through Atlanta a couple of times - once in rush hour during some rain. That was an experience.

But, the rest are rarely bad even during rush hour - OKC, Tulsa, KC (except for 35S), Omaha, Des Moines, Indy - well, ya get the idea. The midwest isn't all that much of a traffic hotbed.

Oh, and I didn't forget anything the last time I was in Houston, so I see no need to ever return.

Terry said...

Yes, Atlanta in the rain actually is a nightmare !! Even I dread that one and I too have lost nothing in Houston, except my sanity, and most folks will probably agree that it would not do me much good to try and retrieve it...LOL

Todays Walk said...

The Gut Feeling is a wonderful thing!

Anonymous said...

I don't mind heavy traffic in urban areas... I run a lot of coast-to-coast freight and always run hard, so I'm usually always WAY early, so no biggie... for example, there was a time I had a load out of San Diego that delivered on the eastern side of ATL... well, by the time I got there, I was almost an entire day early, so when I hit the traffic on I-285 and realized it was going to be a "parking lot" I just shook my head and made the most of it...

And Terry, I had no idea big trucks were actually allowed to stay on I-20 and run through the middle of town... good to know ;)

Terry said...

Anonymous, some folks will argue that trucks are not allowed in town unless you are making a delivery. The signs posted suggest the same. All Thru Trucks MUST use 285, but after living in the area for nearly 10 years and making use of the downtown route, I have come to the conclusion that as long as you behave, you will be fine. But it is a risk I am willing to take, and I have never been pulled over for riding thru the middle :-)

John II said...

Those are pretty good shortcuts and good timing.