Jul 11, 2010

Crane, Crane... Take Me On Out Of This Town

So, what have you missed?

The past month, I have given up on flatbedding...

GASP !! No, I did not quit my job or get fired. I have in fact been pulling the Crane Trailer.


It is a pleasant change for me and as with everything else, I find a certain satisfaction in operating the crane, almost like playing with a new toy. There are however a few downsides to running the Crane. Number One being that during the summer, I am enclosed in an unventilated trailer for hours and it feels like a sauna. Within minutes, I am drenched in sweat...

Lucky for me, most of my customers are quick to make sure I have everything I need, such as plenty of water and Gatorade. I have had a few close calls where the crane would come off the tracks, rendering the task at hand to become stalled. Some quick work with the forklift and I am set to proceed with the unloading process.

There are plenty of opportunities for this trailer to cause mayhem for my work schedule. Any malfunction could send me home with a half loaded trailer... One such instance occurred last week.


You see, the Crane is controlled with a single battery powered remote control. There use to be a controller that plugged into the crane itself, but that has long since been removed from the trailer. Not sure why that was done, but I don't feel it was a very educated decision. So, with the single remote, not only do I have to worry about the actual crane, but a remote malfunction can send me packing as well.

Last week, at my first stop, the inevitable happened. While un-securing the crane, the remote was knocked down in amongst my load. Having fallen behind 5000 lbs of metal, against a wall, 4 ft below me, I begin to feel the first frustrations of the week. With much determination and struggling, I was able to retrieve the ONLY means by which I could offload my freight. But not before suffering a few minor injuries. Trust me, it is very hard to scurry into tight spaces with razor sharp edges at every corner and not come out with some blood loss.

It was not the struggle to retrieve the remote control that caused my angst. In fact, it is the decision of the Boss' to have only one remote available to me. There are a total of SIX remote controls for this trailer, but the Boss' have decided that a cabinet drawer in Georgia, is the best place to store the remaining FIVE. I had asked for a spare remote the previous week, but was denied. So after this little incidence occurred, I immediately called and ask for a reprieve. I explained how unfortunate it would be if I had to return to the plant with a loaded trailer because of a slight remote malfunction. The Boss, not sensing the true nature of my predicament, remarked that they could always send me one via Fed-Ex if that happened again. HAR DE HAR HAR..... Seriously folks, they would rather store the extra remotes in a locked drawer and ship one out to me, than just allow an extra one to ride along in the trailer.. Funny Stuff, but then nothing surprises me when it comes to the new bosses.

It has been a good month, and even with the blood, sweat and tears, I have really enjoyed pulling the crane. I do tend to get a little bruised up, so I try not to make it a habit to pull it too often.

after a typical unload....

And as an added bonus, I think I will throw in a little public service announcement at this point.

DONT EVER PULL OUT IN FRONT OF A MOVING TRACTOR TRAILER !!!!!


This is what my load looked like after another semi pulled off the shoulder of the highway directly in front of me. He was moving at about 10mph when he lurched into traffic. I was rolling along above 65mph. Thankfully, the fella beside was paying attention and let me have the left lane. But because of the sudden swerve to the left, my load fell over... Had I not swerved, I would not be here to tell you about it. Had the fella beside me not been paying attention, there could have been a major catastrophe. I did publicly chastise the driver of the other truck for making such an asinine decision. To this, he only remarked about silly women drivers, and a few other choice lewd remarks. Geeez, I love steering wheel holders...

All is well, that turns out well. It is a great big world, with lots of exciting stuff going on. Pay attention people, it could be my life you are saving. And on that note, I think I will take the convertible out for a ride....


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well come back

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! A new post from Wildcat. =-)

Love Bears All Things said...

I enjoyed seeing and hearing about this crane trailer as that is what my uncle drives and his telling didn't really explain it..maybe those bosses should ride along with a load to better understand what it is all about.
The Princess shared her story about the time she spent with you...you two packed a lot of activity in a short period of time.
Stay cool and bruise free,
Mama Bear

Lynn said...

Sudden swerves are out of the question for me with a tanker load. That means instant rollover. Had one pull out like that in front of me last week. All I could do was get on those brakes hard, and pray real hard. When that surge hits the bulkhead, its going to shove me even farther.

John II said...

Same thing happened to me, except I was following a military truck convoy doing 50 m.p.h. on a busy two-lane highway (Speeds here are usually 55 and 65). A SUV decided to pass me on a double yellow, squeeze between me and the military truck ahead with inches to spare to avoid a nasty head-on. I blew the horn to wave him off but, of course after he "safely merge" into traffic, he gave me the one-finger salute. I don't think his female passenger was thrilled with his driving techniques.
The 'crane trailer' doesn't look too useful in my opinion. If a remote control gets lost, damage or loses its functioning, a spare controller with a 50ft to 75ft cable near the trailer should be ready just in case. Having the crane derail off its guide tracks isn't too good either. That's a hazard waiting to happen, especially if somebody inexperience uses it. Your boss, whoever that person is, should try to operate it and see what it's like to load and unload delicate packages. Gives 'em an idea of what you and your co-drivers go through.

Indy said...

Hello sweetie!

I am alive and relatively well.

Been reading through your blog to here. Many changes.

I have been a slack arse ... but we now have sat track that can be accessed via our equivalent of your DOT so I now have to comply 100% ... and I have never been soooo buggered in all my life!

I now can no longer listen to my body - I have to do what the boffins tell me!

Funny that boffins never drove a truck! LOL

Will ring ya or email ya soon!

Hugs

Indy