Nov 19, 2009

Welcome Home

As is with every week, I just cannot wait to make that 20 mile trek through the last construction zone of my week. Normally it isn't too bad. But then again, I do not consider rush hour on the South Side of Atlanta to be bad either... Or New York? nope! I guess it is all of what you are accustomed too. Progressing at 20 mph in New York is considered to be good. 45mph is flying. But this construction zone, minutes from my plant, usually flows at or above the mandated 50 mph.


This week they had it shut down to one lane, and anywhere near Atlanta, one lane is never enough. There was an 8 mile back up which grew in proportion as rush hour loomed near. Thankfully I got through it before the evening stampede, but it still took me over an hour to get past the 1/4 mile closure.

Regardless of the fact that I may be an aggressive driver in other locales, such as NYC, I always abide by construction zone limits. I think I may be the only one doing 50 mph in Coweta County. I also will merge into the appropriate lane as soon as I know which lane is open. This usually means it takes longer to get through the zone, but it irritates me when folks run to the head of the line and cut into traffic at the last minute, especially Stupor Truckers !!

and the best part.... those Stupor Truckers....are usually the ones with slow trucks riding in the middle lane on open interstate. They will not respond to any radio chatter, acting oblivious, and usually claiming they had no idea that lane was closed. Regardless of the large orange signs that were posted for the previous 3 miles indicating such a closure...Once the zone opens up, they are back to impeding traffic in the middle lane. Hey, shouldn't literacy be mandatory for truckers?

but I digress.....

So where was I? Oh yeah.. Eight mile back-up, one hour delay, and a little trucking female who can do no wrong *smirk*.

I was already in the right lane (unobstructed) at the end of the line. Traffic was piling up, and I watched truck after truck jump to the left, to race to the head of the line. After about 20 minutes, guess what I did.... I jumped left, too. So out of characteristic for me, but then again, I had been following this guy for almost half an hour and I was starting to feel disoriented.


I have heard that once your body has been poisoned by exhaust fumes, it is highly susceptible to future reactions with only minimal exposure. I have been poisoned twice! Seriously exposed, and I do not mean just a raging headache. The first time, nearly ended with loss of life. The second time only resulted in severe disorientation. I was not about to chance it. So I dived left and proceeded to clear the offending six-wheeler. Rest assured, I merged back to the right almost immediately, thanks to another trucker understanding my predicament. And no one yelled at me :)

4 comments:

John II said...

Did those stooges fixed that truck's exhaust muffer, too?
HA!HA!HA! Stupor Truckers (Super Troopers) That's too funny! If you ever run into that crybaby talking on the CB about his job again, that's his new handle: Stupor Trucker.
Oh yeah, I hate construction zones, especially with everybody fighting to be first in line and dealing with that one driver who messes it up for everybody. (In this perticular case, I was the culprit) I was driving a '76 dump truck hauling a trailer and endloader and entered a one-lane construction zone ahead of traffic on a four-lane highway. The truck's was going up a slight grade and doing 20mph in a 45mph zone (the engine was a CAT rebuilt and old school auto tranny) and no shoulder to pull over and allow traffic to go by. The zone was 10 miles long with backup exceeding almost 20 miles. By the time the zone ended and I merge right to let the traffic pass, I was saluted the bird and cussed out on the CB by almost every motorist and driver until I exited the highway and headed to the yard to unload the endloader. So I understand both sides of what you went through.

Terry said...

LOL, I probably would have been aggravated with you too, John, but I would never said a word on the CB or saluted you. Everyone knows dump trucks hauling equipment up hills tend to be slow, but yeah I would have been grumbling under my breath :)

John II said...

Did I mentioned the '76 dump truck was hauling a 19,000 lb endloader and the trailer was light enough (max gvw was 24,000 lbs) to pull at high speeds? It was the truck that that NO guts. I'm glad it's retired and I get to drive and haul materials in a '03 dump truck.:)
(Thanks for not saluting me or saying crap on the CB if I was slow or in your way; just give me that beautiful smile and a wink and I'll be all right! XD)

btjohnson83 said...

Should have chucked a match out the window when u passed that piece of crap and got rid of it for everyone :-)