Jun 7, 2009

Positive Influences

Sunset in The Ozarks

A few weeks ago ( or longer) I had the pleasure of running out to Texas and along the way, got to meet up with fellow blogger Gabsatrucker. We were able to spend a few hours together chatting away like two schoolgirls and seem to get along quite splendidly. Gabby is so awesome and extremely devoted to keeping fit. I told her I had lost motivation and she was able to give me a magazine that had a section directed at starting a new running program and a guideline to follow.

She also said to me that it is not important how hard you strive as long as you get moving! Essentially I believe she meant that even if you cannot go out and run long and hard, at least just get out there. ( Forgive me, as these are not direct quotes, but I am exhausted and well, you get the jest of it).

So, I began a newly modified version of this program and have been quite successful at keeping up with it. It is a slow starter, but I am apt to push to hard and burn out after a few months, so this is doing wonders for building my stamina and encouraging motivation. The only problem I seem to be having is that I cannot always find the time to run. I know, sounds like another excuse, but after a 14 hour day of non-stop deliveries along with 3 to 4 hundred miles of driving, 10pm is just not the best time to get out and run in some of my delivery neighborhoods.

Tonight I ran into that exact problem. After driving 596 miles, dusk was catching up with me very quickly. I had to get fuel before I could allow myself time for a run, and fueling could not be done until I got close to the end of my day. I expressed my dismay to a friend, and he concurred that I should be happy with the fact that the desire is so strong, but some days I will just not be able to do it. The more I thought about it, the more it sounded like an excuse! So, I got my run in tonight. I will not settle for excuses anymore. It was a boring run around a parking lot but I got it done and satisfied my need.


Anyways, I have completely digressed. My point is that Gabby has made such a positive influence upon me, and her husband is awesome too! I had the pleasure of visiting with them last week, again. This time we set out on an approximate 2.5 mile walk across the Big Dam Bridge. Such a beautiful place! Afterwards we grabbed a bite to eat and chatted some more. I am really grateful I have gotten to meet these two wonderful people!! and the influence reaches even further.

Due to my enthusiasm, my niece and nephew have also been bitten by the bug. When I am at home, they often ask to tag along on my running adventures. Of course, because they are young, I take them to the local track so I can keep an eye on them. Last week, they went with me and both of them were able to complete 2 miles easily. They opted to rest while I finished up my workout, but I just think that is so awesome!!

Anywho, way past time for bed and I no longer make sense to myself, but I just felt the need to share!!

6 comments:

dgfiskemt said...

Great post. Can you share some more about the program/guidelines?

Keep it up!

The Kid.

Unknown said...

Aww, you made me blush! Glad you're staying motivated and hope to see you again soon.

Gabby

John said...

You're inspiring to the rest of us. Keep it up.

Terry said...

HilmarKid.. The schedule was pretty simple. Alternate days... Start with a predetermined time frame of say 30 minutes. WALK for 30 the first day. On the second day...walk for 10, run for 15, walk for 5. Keep the same time frame and just alternate days. It suggests that once a month you increase your running increment, so the second month would be Walk for 9, run for 16, walk for 5. I have altered my plan as it seemed too slow in progression. I add one minute of running everyweek and add that to the total time. Now, I am at 10 walking, 19 running, 5 walking. I thought it would be too easy, but I seem to be increasing my pace with very little effort, however, I am finding it a little more difficult than I previously thought! Email me if you would like more info!!

Gabby, I am doing great and you have done so much to inspire me! Will be looking for another trip down 40!!

John, Thank you! And just for the record, I am so pleased to "know" you. Your family is an inspiration to me and helps me to continue believing that there are wonderful people in this world. Sometimes that is hard to do with all that is going on around us! Thanks again!!

Gary said...

run, Terry, run!

Indy said...

Did I mention that YOU, Terry, have been a tremendously positive influence in my life.

Like you, Gabby has also given me something to strive for.

You see, you inspire me enormously and I truly value the friendship visited upon me.

Not bad considering I have never met either of you (and the rate I am going, it may be a while due to ..... circumstances .... like the bloody flu!

Now, isn't it great that people can draw strength from others?

I thank you whole heartedly.