Jun 8, 2009

Local Driver: Do Not Follow


This seems to happen to me quite frequently when cruising around the streets of New York...


Several weeks ago, I was coming off of the Triborough Bridge into Queens and at the bottom of the ramp is a Truck Detour. The detour is actually just placing all trucks onto the service road for less than a mile to go around a low clearance bridge, but there is no trick to the detour. Just stay to the right....Because I have numerous stops in and around the city, I take for granted that there are some individuals who do not know the "routes" and may just happen to be following me, thinking I am taking the Truck Detour. One such fellow did just that. He got to the detour sign which pointed to the right and watched me make a right turn. So he followed. After several blocks, he asks over the CB if I am indeed taking the detour. I just felt horrible for him because I was not, and now he had no idea where he was at, and I can assure you, in New York, that is not a good feeling. Luckily, my customer was on a route that would very easily send him back to the interstate.

Today, I was cruising around the Bronx and noticed a Western Express truck sitting on the side of the road. As soon as I passed, the truck makes a dive into the street behind me. We go through several lights and just as I am preparing to turn to make my delivery, the radio comes alive.

"hey driver, are you going to the interstate?"

Oh, no, not again!! This time it was a young lady and she had been sitting patiently waiting for a truck to pass, so she could be guided back to the Big Road. She noticed ME and commenced to following. This time, it did not end so pleasantly. My customer is just about the last turn before you have no more options in a Truck. The ramp for the interstate was previously just a few blocks away, but had been closed for YEARS!! If she followed me, well, I was going to be double parked for awhile unloading and there was no room on that particular block for her to park. I gave her some quick instructions as to how she might manage to get back to New Jersey, but I don't think she understood what I was trying to tell her. I am sure she was nervous as hell, and maybe even a little scared. I know I was the first time I got lost in Queens. I feel just horrible for her!! Because I was unable to lead her out as I did with the last fellow.

But seriously, if you ever get lost....Do NOT follow the first truck that passes you. They may not be leading you to safety... I have led more than a few drivers into unfamiliar territories and at no fault of myself.

I really do feel horrible for her, because if she missed the first turn I told her about.....well, she will definitely not do it again. I hope she made it out okay.

4 comments:

John said...

I had this sort of thing happen to me in DC once when I was still driving tour buses. Saw a big truck sitting in the median on Constitution Ave. with a scared look on his face. I hollered out to him and told him I could get him to 395. He nearly took the wrong left even so, but got stopped before he was t far into the turn and missed the 12' overpass. Surely would have ruined his day.

Terry said...

The problem I had this time was the BIG radios were over powering her and I could not tell if she was getting my instructions. I was already two blocks away and she had stopped in the middle of the road. I felt so horrible for her!!

Steve2.Net said...

Sounds scary! I just got my CDL recently, gosh, bet you have heard that one before - but I am not driving anything just yet, maybe I can get a job driving North or Midwest!!! Anyhow, I like your movies, hope you might stop by my blog sometime when your not too busy! By for now!!

Terry said...

Hey, Thanks for stopping by Steve2.net and June!! Good luck on finding a peaceful job. Stay out of the NorthEast until you are ready for it!! I avoided it for years, before I fell in love with it!!