Dec 16, 2011

On Your Mark. Get Set..... STOP!!


This week's breakdown officially started Tuesday night around 5pm. On Friday, around 5pm, I received the call that the truck repairs were complete. I personally think 3 full days is a bit ridiculous for a simple oil leak, a hub cap with a leaking gasket, and an exhaust leaking valve replacement. Pesky little O rings must be a pain in the ass to find, as I was told this was the hold up. A steel O ring that fits into a plug was the cause of my oil leak. I am still not sure if oil is what was coating everything under the truck because I have only added 2 gallons in a 2 month period. The shop assured me that it was not a leaking fuel line. At least they steam cleaned everything under the truck so I can keep an eye on it. I have my doubts though.

The boss had saved a load for me to pick up this weekend, so after I retrieved the truck, my intentions were to head towards New York. The first thing I noticed was a tapping noise coming from the area where the EGR shutoff valve was located. The valve that was leaking exhaust into my truck! And the odor was still seeping into the cab. This is the valve they just replaced. I also noticed that my warm dead idle oil pressure was running at about 12-15lbs. This is too low. It really shouldn't run below about 30lbs at a dead idle (sitting still). Next up was the excessive whistling coming from the turbo with a slight flapping sound. The sound of an air boot with a hole developing in it...

Because it is dark and raining, I have decided to wait until the morning to do any  further inspecting. So bright and early, I will determine if I shall return to the shop to check the valve. Because of so much down time this week, if I locate a hole in the boot, I will buy the boot and replace it myself. As for the oil pressure, I hope I make it through this delivery. I have no intention of any more shop time until after Christmas.

I find all of this to be simply ridiculous after 72 hours of downtime... But at least I no longer have to worry about the steer axle hubcap leaking oil.  YAY!!

On a side note, the last load I delivered, one of the dealerships claimed that fluids from my truck had gotten on one of the cars and dissolved the paint. The only corrosive fluids that I can think of that would have done that are brake fluid and battery acid. I don't have issues with either of those.  Pesky dealers will try to get anything over on you. This of course came after he signed off on a clean inspection of the vehicles...

Well, off to bed. I have a ton of things to do in the morning. Grrrrrrrr!!

5 comments:

Johnny said...

Those car dealership people will do anything to blame the hauler for the dumbest things that don't even happen.

Chuck T. said...

I have dealt with that "after the fact phantom damage claim" before as well. I have been leased to other carries in the past that would just deduct the claim regardless of a clean delivery reciept. United Road is really good about not doing that. A clean reciept is a damage free delivery. Now I just wish I could get them to pay me more. By the way, I work out of Detroit, I loaded next to you a few times during your training.

Terry said...

Hello Chuck!!

Thanks for checking in. So far, my experience with URS has been very pleasant. I am sure that people have their personal complaints, but I am actually just happy to be getting involved with the car industry, no real complaints from me yet. Besides, it pays a whole lot better than flatbedding aluminum into NYC every week. Picking my brain, I am trying to figure out, did we speak? I remember one fella I spoke to on several occasions while I was hanging out with Frank at the auction...

Chuck T. said...

We didn't talk, but a female carhauler kinda stands out. I'm an owner-operator at URS, you can't miss me, I drive the last of the gold Internationals. I bought it from URS 4 years ago but I think it's time for a new ride. It's a lot like me, old and tired. I'll look for you on the road, I'm on my way to Atlanta then to West Point.

Terry said...

I do tend to stand out a bit! I am thinking it is probably time to retire the old gold truck too. Have a friend who use to work for Auction Transport... Have fun with the KIAs. I am waiting to drop a few in New York and then hit one of the auctions up this way. Of course, that means it will be raining soon. It always rains when I am at an auction !! I think it even rained while I was up in the D for training.