Dec 13, 2011

Scratch and Sniff

On a side note....

I rarely get personal on my blog, perhaps this is something I will attempt to conquer in the coming year. I have one resolution already in mind for 2012 and while it may be a challenging one, I am determined to implement it. But that is another personal post...

A few weeks ago, I managed to get by the apartment late one Friday evening. I quickly found that my washing machine was not working. I say quickly, but it was actually 2/3 through the cycle. I called for maintenance and was told that unless it was an emergency, no requests would be handled until Monday. It was an emergency, at least to me. I was set to leave on Sunday and really needed my work clothes to be clean. So, I loaded up and headed for the nearest laundromat. Ewwwwww!! Such a simple task, but I prefer to complete it in the comfort of my own home.

Not sure how quickly I noticed it, but..... Within days, my skin was covered in splotchy red welts. Reminiscent of mosquito bites, only twice as large and ten times more irritating. OH EM GEE!! Make it stop itching. Pretty sure I removed several layers of skin trying to alleviate the itch. Nothing seemed to help. This was weeks ago. I believe the irritation was due to the previous user of the washer or dryer having recently worked with fiber glass insulation. I was able to rewash all of my clothing and the bumps are subsiding.

Obviously, I did not get all the clothing rewashed, as they have started again. This time on my feet and butt. Week number 3 !!  Yeah, I am aware that whoever used the machines could not have cared less what residue they left behind, but needless to say I am MAD...

At least the washer at home has been replaced. And that my friends, is about as personal as this blog gets. For now, at least.

6 comments:

Jeffro said...

I'll know you've gone around the bend if you start posting pictures of zits. Just sayin!

Terry said...

This had me soooo frustrated Jeffro. But yeah, I think it would be hard to get around that bend if you are off the deep end. Dont know of too many bends in the deep :P

Anonymous said...

OUCH!! The welts and rash on your arms, legs, backside and feet must be horrible. Did you consult with a doctor in case the welts and rashes were not a highly medical illness or disease from using a public laundromat?

Terry said...

The horrible part is the ugliness and itching. I did not seek medical attention because my first reaction was that I had walked through a swarm of biting insects. Having dealt with an insulation irritation before, I am convinced that is what this is. The itching lasted a few days and the welts slowly subsided into tiny scabs. 95% of it is completely gone now !!

simstick said...

Thought you were going to say scabies. Got them from a gym towel one time and they were misdiagnosed as a reaction to soap or laundry detergent so I went another 3 days with them. Fun.

Terry said...

Not even sure what Scabies actually are.. but this was definitely the same reaction I have had to fiberglass insulation before. It did not last that long, but it itched like crazy!!