Dec 14, 2011

There's a First Time For Everything

With every first experience, there is an appropriate emotion. In car-hauling, with every "first", there is an appropriate amount of anxiety that follows.

I remember my first solo load of 9 Honda's. I felt so empowered. But I also felt the anxiety of not knowing if I had left enough room to make my turns. Did I really measure the load correctly for height. Did I strap everything tight enough. After leaving out with that first load, I was extremely nervous for the first two hours. I was scared to make a turn, knowing I would hear the crunching of the bumpers between the tractor and trailer. It never happened, and by the time I delivered the cars I was feeling pretty empowered.

With each load, I gain a little more confidence. With each load, I am still learning new techniques. Every single auction load is different and "theory" really plays a major role in how to load. There have been a few times that I was going to be challenged and a vehicle was pulled before I got the opportunity to test myself. I wish I had been given the F350 dually!! The Express Vans would have been nice!! But even the more manageable loads are able to teach me something.

This week, I was given a 8 Ford load which would have been a no brainer, but with 3 dealerships involved, I planned for efficiency. This is the first time I have placed a pick-up over the hood and the height had me nervous. Even though I used the drop pockets, I did not use the lowered chain pockets... Now, I know. This is also the first time I have placed my second unit so far back into the trailer. That had me worried too. Of course, the equipment is built to be used and guys have been doing this for decades. But, to me it is still very new and with each "anxiety" comes a certain satisfaction. "Hey, I did that and it worked!"

Now that I am beginning my own rhythm, I am actually looking forward to the harder loads. My trailer, while being quick to load, also limits my capacity. It is really kind of cool to test someone else's logic and see how it falls into place. So far, so good!! Did I mention that I love hauling cars!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! :D

Anonymous said...

Good for you. You sure seem happy with this gig compared to your last one. Keep smiling.

Terry said...

I was happy with the last job for nearly a decade, but it was probably more falling into a comfortable rut. Actually, I am very grateful for the issues that developed with the flatbed. Had it not, I would have probably not made this transition. My only "regret" is that I did not start this one sooner.