Jan 24, 2009

Good Cop / Bad Cop

If you gave following this blog any length of time, you should already know that I have a "thing" for men in uniform.  Policemen, Firefighters, Servicemen, etc.


Along with this mild infatuation, I also have an enormous amount of respect for them as well.

With that being said...I will begin my intended post.

On way home last week, I managed to get myself trapped in the right lane behind a very slow camper. Actually, I had no intention of becoming trapped, but the other motorists saw no need to heed my turn signal indicating that I too, would love to get around this slow moving road block. After travelling at least a mile  (blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink) and having numerous motorists fly from behind me into the left lane, I finally saw my chance, albeit, a small window of opportunity. As I prepared to make the lane adjustment, I glanced again ( I usually look several times just to confirm the vacant spot I wish to acquire) and noticed a white SUV flying up the left lane and rapidly eliminating my opportune moment. As this point, I already have five tires in the left lane, but as I noticed the SUV was not going to slow down, I weaved back to the right to give him clearance.  I was beginning to see red, and as the vehicle begin to make the pass, I made a not so friendly gesture towards him.

That is when he braked. He braked hard. I noticed his hood take a nosedive as he slowed to my current rate of speed. About 80 to 53 in 2 seconds. He lingered at the nose of my trailer, and my frustration grew. Oh Great! Now he is going to play with me. Hold me in position behind the already crawling camper. It was then, as I turned to look him in the eye, that I noticed all the pretty shiny decals plastered on the sides of his SUV.... County Sheriff....

Yikes!!  There were two officers in the vehicle, and the driver made a point to let me know that he did not appreciate my little gesture. He had the second seat driver roll down the window as he mouthed something towards me with very visual facial expressions. I was mortified. I was ashamed, but I was still irritated that no one would let me into the left lane. As he was silently reprimanding me for the error of my ways, the camper had slowed even more. We were barely doing fifty, but I guess a County Car with his blue lights blazing does tend to frighten people into slowing unnecessarily. After he said his piece, I motioned to the slow vehicle and then threw my hands in the air.

He then proceeded to floor it. That is when I noticed the second officer. He waved and smiled in a highly amused manner, as his counterpart continued to glare at me. 

Honestly, I would never have made any rude gestures, had I known it was an Officer, but his car was unmarked on the front, and with no lights flashing, it just looked like another jackass trying to beat the Big Truck.  

The rest of the trip home, I was half expecting another unmarked to pull me over, and cite me for disrespecting an officer. But alas, I made it home with no other encounters with the men in blue!  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good argument for the left lane/truck only lane suggestion I've read on other blogs.
So, would a company shirt and hat qualify as a uniform? I'm just sayin'. ;-)

CPD659 said...

O a man in uniform huh? I am CPD659 from youtube.com. Yep Campbell County PD Badge number 659. But I hate my blue uniform. I wear the BDU's everyday. Later, Eric

pacificstar said...

uniform------Hello, I'm PAUL BLART

The Wondering Brit said...

Hey, Cops can be just as much A-holes as the rest of us out there - just ask their colleagues lol.

They have authority, but they're not the law (albeit they can choose to make life a pain in the ass for you)

Most cops though understand the issues truckers face - up to a point.

By the looks of the comments here, I think you just got yourself a cop fanclub.

Terry said...

HilmarKid...I have even sent in a rant to the local paper about the misuse of restricted lanes. It would make more sense to put the Trucks in the left lane away from the merging ramp traffic, but this is a battle we will never win!

Eric, you are not seeing the uniform from my point of view.
:)

PacificStar....sadly, I even had a crush on Kevin James at one point.

TWB.....Most Officers are very understanding, and they are just regular guys...I have several Smokies as friends, and I tend to abuse them with the stereotypical jokes, but they take it very well.

Sally said...

I would have done the same thing! I'm so glad you didn't get pulled over. And what was he doing speeding by so fast without any lights???

Unknown said...

LOL at your fanclub! but Kevin James IS a cutie (although I haven't seen Paul Blart so that may change my opinion).