Dec 11, 2008

'Tis the Season

I have been somewhat lacking in my enthusiasm for the holiday season this year. I have so much going on and so many changes taking place that I have not relished all that is to behold during the holidays.

Until Tuesday Night. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, if only for a moment.

During the course of this weeks deliveries, I was bestowed with several Christmas presents from some of my regular customers. I begin to feel an inclination to head home and start making gift bags to hand out myself next week. Typically I love the holidays, the best part being finding that perfect gift for everyone on my list. Sadly, this year, cash will have to be the perfect gift.

sigh.....Who knows, I might get it in gear.....

But back to my Christmas Tale.

On my way home, I stopped in a rest area for the night. This particular one was maintained by a gentleman whom lived in a camper a few miles down the road. He was very quiet and kept to himself to stay out of the patrons way. While I was searching the snack machines for a treat, I noticed him humbly waiting in the corner to continue with his duties as the restrooms emptied. No one would look his way, much less greet him or even acknowledge him for that matter.

No one, except myself. He seemed pleasantly surprised as I engaged him in cheerful, witty banter. He shared a portion of his life story with me, including his dream to reach ALASKA for the adventure of a lifetime. I cheered him on with words of encourage and awe as his told his tale.

His eyes were sparkling as I made my way back to the truck for some rest.

Then it dawned on me....(I am a little slow, sometimes) This man was not used to having people treat him with respect and friendship...My heart began to fill emotion. I then proceeded to rummage through my bounty, and selected one of the gifts that had been given to me.

Feeling a little bit awkward, because I did not want to offend him by assuming anything about his lifestyle, as so many others were seeming to do, I made my way back inside the building. I immediately was discouraged because he was no where to be found. But as I left, I noticed him collecting the trash along the sidewalk. Beaming from ear to ear, I quietly approached him. I asked him if he had family in the area, and how he would spend his Christmas. I then offered him a Christmas present. His eyes welled with tears as he smiled. He let out a jolly laugh and expressed his gratitude. He told me that he could sense what a wonderful person I was from our previous conversation, and that had been enough of a gift to him already. I insisted he take the present, anyways.....To which he did not hesitate.

In return, he asked for one thing.... To give me a Hug! He said it was all he had to offer me, and I gladly accepted it. I made my way back to the truck with a bounce in my step, a smile on my face and all the joy that the holidays contain abounding in my heart.

I do not need for any of you to tell me what impression this story might make on you. I am not looking for your approval. I got what I needed from the smile in his eyes, as I walked away.

I would just like to remind each and every one of you, that there are people less fortunate who could use an extra smile, a moment of conversation, or even a hug!! My wish this Christmas , is that we all take a moment to spread the Christmas Cheer to those who are less fortunate!!

Happy Holidays!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done what goes around comes around and one day something good will happen to you its called Karma

John said...

There you go. That's what it's all about. Thanks for the reminder.

Love Bears All Things said...

Funny, or not, how people seem to find invisible those who serve. Since moving to Memphis, I have to appreciate the friendliness of folks in my native state. I have never been around such rude people as those in public positions where I moved. There are a few exceptions and that makes them much appreciated. Back here, I noticed (for one) how friendly and helpful the postal workers are. I think we should be respectful and courteous to others all year round but especially at Christmas when everyone is rushed and over stressed.
Your act of kindness fulfills what Jesus meant in the verses 35-40 of Matthew. The second part of Verse 40 says Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
There are opportunities out there, we just need to be open to them.
Bless you!
Mama Bear

PrimeTime said...

I know you dont need me to tell you how this moved me, but dang it, I just HAD to! What an awesome thing to do for someone who really is under appreciated! YOU have put ME into the Christmas spirit now. Thank you, Littletrucker...

Be safe out there!

Digital Fortress said...

That's the giving spirit of Christmas! What a wonderful story! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing it. It's the small things that make a difference. That is all it takes sometimes.

God bless and have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Random acts of Kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Pay It Forward.

Thanx for spreading the word.

oldmichael
New Jersey

Unknown said...

nice blog...bit hard to read...but nice nonetheless - u might check out these other 2 trucking blogs - be safe out there...

vgrumpy
acourtesyflush.blogspot.com
lifeontheroad.com

Season said...

I teared up a bit reading this. Thanks for sharing. It is true that a little goes a long way.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your interaction with the man at the truck stop. Btw, I live in Charleston, SC and as far as driving goes, I find the worst drivers are the ones whe move here from up north as well as others just driving through. Enjoy your site. Keep blogging....

Anonymous said...

dang, Terry, just when i thought i'd get through the day without bawling like a baby, i have to read this...thanks for sharing your kindness with a stranger and this story with me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Terry. I just spent the past 2 weeks reading your blog from start to finish. I enjoy your writing style and your take on the different situations you face. I really want to thank you for sharing part of your life with us.

I was very touched readying this post ('Tis the Season'). In this day and age, we do not hear enough about the good that people do. You cannot turn on the news without hearing about the bad that people do. I know you did not share this with us to receive praise but praise you deserve. This post reminds me to be more aware of those around me and to strive to 'Pay it Forward'.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!

Indy said...

You little bugger, you are! Here I am trying to be the macho (mucho????) truckie figure and I read something like that!

Yeah! You're right. I lost the plot! this is a glorious post. Thank you so much for sharing, girl!