Sep 11, 2008

Stupid Truck Drivers

Yes, you read that right!!

I am bashing truck drivers in this here rant, but if they would just behave, well, then, I wouldn't have too!!

I admit that I am not the most well behaved Truck Driver at all times, but I like to think I handle myself very well for the most part!

~ 1. There is a back road that I travel frequently while running local deliveries that has been under construction for quite a while now. They are rerouting the roadway to eliminate the use of a very skinny bridge that is probably about to collapse anyway, with all the truckers having discovered this route. But for now, the bridge is still in use. It is approximately 200 feet long and no more than 19 feet wide.
Normally when two Truckers meet on this stretch of road, one gives the other time to clear the bridge before proceeding across it. A lot of side mirrors have been destroyed on this bridge. Even the cars will give the trucks time to cross before attempting to pass!!
So, as I make my way towards the bridge, I notice an approaching Truck. I am going to make the crossing first, as I am visibly closer. Did I mention it is in a 35mph zone? So, I notice this guy is not going to give me any room and continues to accelerate towards me. I am now in the middle of the bridge when he enters from the other side with five tires in my lane.....
It is possible to make the crossing at the same time, if both drivers use caution, but this guy was not!! This is the point where if I had an older Truck, I would have reached out the window and tucked my mirror in, but the big plastic mounts won't budge!!
He continues in my lane, making the pass with a thud!! as our mirrors make slight contact. Not enough to do any damage to mine, but it did scare the crap out of me. AND, my right tires are scrapping the curbing of the 18" tall concrete guard rail, that would not have prevented me from cascading into the 10' ravine had he been any closer!
I then asked him over the airwaves if he "just got out of school yesterday?" But I will not publish his reply!! So, "Thanks a bunch JAMES R SMITH TRUCKING!! I hope your mirror falls off now!!" We had one of our trucks lose a mirror and driver side window on this same bridge 2 years ago!!

~ 2. While travelling through Indiana this week, I happened to notice one of those RED TRUCKS ( crete, knight, usxpress) wobbling and weaving back and forth in the roadway...Every time I would get close to his trailer, he would bobble into my lane....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....I finally saw an opportunity to get around him and I mashed on it....Continuing on my merry way, I looked in the mirrors and happen to notice him driving off into the ditch....NO! I did not cause him to run off the road......But him playing with his dash mounted laptop might have had something to do with it!

~ 3. Another wobbling Truck in Indiana caught my attention a few miles down the road. But this guy really had it bad. Instead of making nice gradual merges in and out of lanes, he was literally yanking his truck from side to side. Had he been loaded, I am sure he would have rolled it! Once again, I am pacing myself behind him! Then out of nowhere, he hits the brakes hard and jerks it onto the shoulder. There were two other trucks behind him and we all had to scatter to avoid a collision. The shoulder looked to be about 7' wide with a concrete wall. He was hanging out into the right lane a good foot or so!! When asked if he was okay or needed help, he replied "I missed my exit!"
The next thing you know, the CB comes alive with remarks being made about the stupid CELADON driver that is backing down the interstate! Sure, the next exit might have been 5 miles down the road, or even 20, but there are so many things wrong with what he was trying to do!

So, to each of you fellows, I appreciate your help in keeping the BAD Truck Driver reputation alive and well!!

Freaking idiots!! Rant Over.....

5 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, I LOVE your stories!! =) Frustrating for you, but great entertainment for me. hee hee.

Terry said...

Thanks Sally....They are pretty entertaining for me as well, but I do get bent out of shape with it sometimes!! We have a bad enough rep as it is, but some guys are really making it hard to disprove the stereotype.

John said...

It's a real shame when idiots like that ruin someone else's view of truck drivers once again.

Unknown said...

It's bad enough when 4-wheelers back down the interstate when they miss their exit but a big truck? Doesn't surprise me in the least that it was a Celadon. They had (have?)a yard in Denton, TX and some of the stupid sh*t some of their drivers would do absolutely amazed me.

I noticed you now have comment moderation. Did you get hit with spammers a couple of weeks ago?

Gabrielle

Anonymous said...

I have 20 + yrs truck driving exp . I recently started delivering fuel everyday to a major truckstop . I see drivers do so much stupid stuff in there everyday it's just amazing . I seen atleast 2 tractors get totalled in the parkinglot . Can someone explain to this stupid old trucker ! ( me ) just how the he'll someone does this ? Or the 2 guys that hit head on 6 ft from me , at 1 mph becuz they both where to hard headed to give wAy ?