Apr 13, 2011

The Smokey Bears Saga

It has been awhile since I have had an encounter with a Officer of the Law so I have not had any delightful tales to pass along. However, last week, there was just such an occurrence.


As any of my returning loyal readers may remember, I have very fortunate luck when it comes to encounters with The Men In Blue, and well, I just love them so for that reason. I also have great respect for them and all they do to protect and serve!

So, as I am making my way home through South Carolina, I am engaged into a conversation with one of the local Roadway drivers. After several miles, he brings to my attention that a certain marked automobile has entered the runway and is creeping up behind me. Knowing full well, he might not like my chosen speed, I proceed to slow and watch as he takes his ever loving time to catch me. I had a feeling he may have been watching for my next move. As he cruises past, I notice him looking at me, so I put on my brightest smile and wave.

We proceed to maintain the designated speed for several miles and he eventually enters my lane ahead of me. Ever so slowly he begins to increase his speed.. So, do I! Of course as is when any law enforcement is present the rest of the motorists have slowed, certain this Smokey is hungry. But we continue to motivate until we are about 10 mph above the posted speed limit. I notice in my mirror that there is a car flying up the left lane, so I grab my CB mic and tell the Smokey "You got a customer coming!"

Surprise!! Mr Smokey had his radio on and replied to me that he was feeling generous. The car slowed before reaching the Officer and we continued to roll south. A few miles later, another car was blazing a trail down the left lane and I once again grabbed my mic. "Oh come on, Mr Smokey, you know you wanna!!"

He then asked me to maintain my current speed and position as he dropped off to my right and had me run cover for him. The car blasted past and on came the blue lights!! "Thank you Little Lady" was the last thing I heard as he attended to more pressing business. This absolutely made my day and I wondered if perhaps I should give South Carolina a reprieve from my constant badgering.

Yeah, that probably won't happen!! And in other tales of wrongdoing...

On my way through Georgia, heading to the house, there was a major backup getting to the Watermelon 500 due to construction. I get so tickled at listening to all the whining and misinformation. I tried to alert anyone who would listen that it was normal construction at high traffic volume. It only lasted a few miles, blah, blah, blah. This is a stretch of road that is seven lanes wide and the construction had it reduced to the 3 extreme left lanes, which included the HOV lane. Of course the 3 extreme left lanes are all very restricted where commercial vehicles are concerned. I figured if construction puts us in violation anyways........

So, along with another flatbed and tanker, we hit the dusty trail and made our way through the congestion. Even had an Evil Knievel (officer on a motorcycle) wave as we went by. The radio came alive with folks complaining about what we were doing, but the way I see it is. If I am taking a risk, it is my business. If the only lanes open are restricted, well, all lanes are illegal right? And how often are you going to be able to get a picture like this !!


4 comments:

Todays Walk said...

A chat with SC Blue Suit is right out of Smokey & the Bandit! :) Pretty Funny! Thanks, needed a good laugh!

John said...

That's too funny

Jay said...

Great story! Great pic!

Truck Repair Los Angeles said...

Haha, just discovered your blog and I already love it!