Apr 23, 2011

Hybrid...

As long as I have been driving up to New England, I have often claimed that the area felt like my second home. It is by far my favorite route to run. After begging AA for weeks, I finally manage to grab this little jewel. Being a southern girl and loving New England, I am a hybrid!!


My first delivery was to be in Bloomfield, Connecticut. I arrived on Sunday night and set up camp only to oversleep the next morning. No worries, however, as I have big plans for my return trip "home". Leaving Connecticut, I take the scenic route up to North Adams, Massachusetts. Have I ever mentioned how much I love driving the two lanes. Well, the two lanes in Mass are my absolute favorite.

After delivering in N Adams, I make the executive decision to take my absolute favorite scenic route back towards Boston. Knowing full well it will cost me additional time, the journey is so worth it. The Mohawk Indian Trail !! Absolutely love this route...

At this point, I am halfway thru my journey with only 2 stops left. But, as I have mentioned before, I have big plans. So I slowly amble towards the Cape thinking I may get finished on Monday. After calling the customer, it was decided that my stay in New England was to be extended. Oh Joy!!

No seriously... Oh Joy!! I now have more time to appreciate my beloved New England. So I change my course and head up to New Hampshire. This customer only takes deliveries after 4pm. After sitting in the dock for several hours, my plan is finally set into motion. Quick text to a friend and I am on my way.

The Big Plans... Meeting up with Trucker ATK. You see, we have a little task at hand to be completed. A certain Scorching Habanero Doritos Challenge... "The Deadly Doritos Snackdown"
After a lovely visit, I make tracks south to set up camp for my final delivery in Hanson, Ma. Another treat in itself because this is possibly my favorite delivery. The owner of the company has been so good to me and Andy throughout the years, and it is always a pleasure to make an appearance here.

Trailer is empty and it dawns upon me that I am also driving past another delivery point where I have made a friend. Sooooooo, why not? I pull into Taunton, park the truck, and race inside to yell Surprise. I actually ended up spending the entire morning with my friend Pat, catching up on all the gossip. We ended the visit with a nice lunch at a local Italian restaurant, complete with a view of the lake!

Not wanting to leave just yet, I contact ATK again and schedule another visit. My pickup is set for 5am the next morning in Hartford, CT. I have plenty of time! Lucky for me, so does ATK. So he swings in to pick me up and takes me on a more scenic tour of Massachusetts. ATK is a local car hauler and a good friend of mine, so it was a pleasure to see him again before heading out.

The next day it was business as usual. Up at 5am to load a meager 280 pounds and begin the long trek home... sigh!!

What an absolutely splendid week. It was almost as if I did not work at all and that, my friends, is how it should be. Next week, the excitement continues as I head to SOUTH DAKOTA. I know, right! I have not been west of I-35 in years.. Hoping to see a few more friends next week!!

Did I ever mention how much I love my job? Yeah, I thought so...






5 comments:

Jeffro said...

SD, eh? Now yer gettin' in my stomping grounds! Whereabouts are you headed?

Terry said...

I honestly have no idea!! I got so excited when South did not end in Carolina that I completely missed the city!! 2 stops in Chi-Town, one in the Big Woods of Northern Wisconsin and then west bound!! I will keep ya posted though :-)

Jeffro said...

We usually run up US83 to Murdo on I90 and head west through Rapid City and Belle Fourche to end up in western ND and eastern MT - depending on road construction and such. Since we're oversize, it depends on where the state lets us go. Sometimes we take US83 through Pierre and on up to I94 in ND. Of course, after we're unloaded, we head to the house any ol' way.

It looks like I'm headed to CO for the first of the week and then to southeast OK later on, so it's doubtful I'll be up your way. :-(

John said...

Sounds like fun. I guess you're an offical OTR driver instead of LTL. (Unless LTL stands for "Little Trucker Logistics")

Vince said...

That is so nice that you get to enjoy yourself so much in your job. I don't have much experience driving in New England but have been fortunate enough to experience some of the scenic roads in other parts of the country. One of my favorite roads on the east coast is the Cherahola Skyway which is in North Carolina and Tennessee but for driving safety, I'm not sure how much of that road would be accessible to you in your truck.