Apr 11, 2011

Another Tragedy

It is not often that I see tragedy, and after the previous experience watching the car flip out of control, I was sincerely hoping I would not see another for a long while.


Eight days later was just not long enough.

This time I am heading north on the New Jersey Turnpike when I noticed a tractor trailer parked on the shoulder. Immediately behind him was a automobile wrecker. My first thought was that the driver had been involved in an accident and perhaps a car was located in the ditch. It then hit me that there was NO traffic.

Another tenth of a mile down the road, I saw something...

I stared intently trying to figure out what I was looking at...

Just as I passed it, I realized that is was a body...

Not sure what truly happened, but my guess was suicide, and the reason I believe this is that the word on the radio was a pedestrian was trying to cross the Interstate. I have seen several instances where a pedestrian has been hit while crossing and I cannot figure out why anyone would choose to do this. But the illogical part of the equation is as follows. There was an overpass no more than a few hundred yards away. It just makes sense that the individual jumped to his death in front of the truck due to location of his final resting place. Sorry if this seems a bit morbid, but it is easier for me to deal with this type of imagery if I associate it with logic and reason. If he was truly just crossing, would he not have chosen the overpass...

You never know what each day brings! My heart goes out to that Truck Driver, because I am positive his life will be changed forever by this. And I am also positive he never knew what hit him.

1 comment:

John said...

I'm sorry that you had to see it and imagine the worst, Terry. I know what that driver's going through. I've seen a attempted suicide before (the poor guy lost his life the next day at the hospital) and it's catches anyone who witnesses it by surprise. The guy I saw walked in front of a train doing 30 mph and the engineer couldn't stop in time. He later said he was done operating trains; couldn't handle the stress of hitting a human being again. If that poor driver couldn't stop or swerve his 40-ton truck from hitting the guy, try to imagine what a 8,000-ton train pulling 60 freight cars can do to somebody who doesn't want to live no more. My thoughts and prayers go out that truck driver and the guy who caused it.