Dec 20, 2009

To Err is Human...The Finale !!

The phone call was from my Office. They needed to inquire about a few particulars concerning my load.


Hmmmmm??

Yes, Winona was on the way, saving at least 100 miles. Yes Winona was actually loaded next and not underneath the Minneapolis. No, no one reloaded any of my freight, except the pallets back in Tennessee. Yes, they agreed to wait on me.

It seems the Aluminum Company got a nasty little email from Minneapolis concerning my delivery. Of course, I feel that their complaints were legitimate, and I did do everything I could to help out with the situation. I run into this problem all of the time in New England, but because I know the customer's needs, I am able to accommodate them before arriving with an undeliverable load. I did not know this customer, so I did not know I needed to make alternate arrangements with the freight.

What ensued over the next few hours was a battle of laying blame. The load planner claimed it was my fault for changing routes mid-stream and That I was obviously having my freight moved around . She knows I do this in New England, but there was no need for it on this trip. It just wasn't loaded properly. My boss waged war for me, and in the end it was revealed that I was not to blame at all. Really?

Don't you just love the fact that almost everyone seems to throw the driver under the bus, when a mistake occurs. Luckily, I have a wonderful boss who will fight tooth and nail for his team of drivers.

The best part of this little battle...The original email from Minneapolis included a paragraph about me. It stated that I was doing my best to help them out. That I had physically helped them unload over 4000k of metal. That I was a great asset to my company. The final sentence advised my company to extend gratitude to me, the Driver....You know, the one the load planner was trying to blame.. LOL

I made it home early on Friday and was scheduled to be off for the next 2 weeks. But, I just had to volunteer to work the week of Christmas....Seems, I am a glutton for punishment.

Good news, however! When I finish my run this week, I am to send my truck to Volvo to have the new engine installed....YAY This could not come at a better time, because even though my problems were temporarily at bay with the regen situation in Wisconsin. They almost immediately returned when I got empty in Missouri. Only 1200 more miles and Frankentruck goes under the knife.. Let's hope he lives through it.


6 comments:

John II said...

Yeah, Terry, I've been thrown under the bus several times...and after it has run over me, I get up and tell the person who's accusing me of wrongdoing, "You wanna say that to my face and not behind my back?!"
So you're volunteering during Christmas? Oh, I get it; you get to sit at the top of a Christmas tree and smile. XD (It's an angel joke Ha-Ha-Ha but you would make a beautiful angel)
Well, at least Santa gave your truck a new engine. Hope that works out.
Well, Merry Christmas to you and have a Happy New Year. Enjoy the rest of 2009.
-John

Todays Walk said...

Merry Christmas Terry & be safe out there...

Terry said...

Thank you so much JohnII..Hope your Holidays are wonderful as well!!

Today's Walk, Thank you very much, and I wish for you a very safe and extremely Happy Holiday Season!!

The Wondering Brit said...

Glutton for punishment, yeah - you just don't get enough ;)
Hope you've been chillin this Christmas

StrokerAce90 said...

You got blamed for something Terry? oh no, say it ain't so, not the blame the dumb truck driver routine, (again) but sadly it is just that isn't it. yeah, me being a big galoot combined with being a truck driver seemed to put me in that "routine" many of times. So glad to hear your boss came thru for you Terry =]

Now, new engine? hmm, Does that mean you will not be able to push it for the first 500 miles (in the left lane) lol The subject of break-in procedures is somewhat controversial these days, have you inquired from Volvo what they recommend? I would assume that when you go to pick Frankentruck up that they will provide you with that information, however if they do not, don't hesitate to ask for it, because with some warranties it is a requirement.

Happy New Year Terry ;-]

Terry said...

Eric, I think the office folks throw us under the bus, because they never have to face us, unless we approach them. We are the EASY OUT, so to speak.

As for the new motor, it was installed during break, and should already be back at the yard waiting on me. Because I will pick it up on Sunday night, I have no way to get that info without researching the net, besides, I always like to baby a brand new engine, just so everything gets seated properly...

TWBrit..Let's hope next year is not so punishing.